Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Osprey at Achavanich

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tilly Teckel Guest

Default Osprey at Achavanich

I saw my first Osprey yesterday! It was at Achavanich, just sitting on a fence post, very relaxed and not at all skittish. I thought at first it had a frog in it's claws but as it flew off you could clearly see it was a nice little brown trout. My pictures aren't the best as I was over-excited! Wish I'd got some pics of it flying - it was an awesome sight.

Fantastic pictures. I saw the same bird on Monday morning on a fence post on the Rumster Road above Loch Stemster. No camera with me.

Colin
    Last edited by Seabird; 16-May-12 at 22:45. Reason: spelling error

We watched it Monday pm, got some photos but no where as good as your's Tilly

Default osprey

Is that a first for Caithness?.

I dont think anglers will be very happy.

I was speaking to 2 anglers last week and they described their absolute joy at fishing in Caithness whilst watching an osprey take a fish. They said it made the joy of fishing in the wonderful country side so much greater. Judging by their accent they had traveled a fair distance to get to the area and no doubt were spending a good amount for the privilege. They also appreciated the the presence of otters, I supposes plenty fish eaters equals plenty fish and I understand most river fishing is catch and release anyway.

Excellent capture TT
    Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Lingland View Post
    sorry but no

Tilly Teckel Guest

No, I googled it when I got home and found a site where they were tracking a number of Ospreys in 2008 and the one I read about (named Morven) appeared to fly around 60 miles north every day just to fish in the lochs of Caithness, mostly Calder and Achavanich. Anyone know if they're still tracking them?

Quote Originally Posted by Lingland View Post
    Ospreys are well established in Caithness there are at least 4 known breeding pairs

Pterodroma

Think I saw one flying over the road today with a fish in its claws beside the old Loch Watten Hotel, was driving so didnt get a good look. Do other birds carry fish ??