Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moving to Caithness

Well, I like the area east of York!

Somewhere near (or north-east of) Pocklington has many of the advantages of Caithness, but you have the facilities of York on your doorstep.

The North York Moors are nice too.

But, if you want a beeg change, then why not go for it? Keep us posted though. Remember to tell us how much you miss Sainsburys and ASDA and Marks & Sparks and DFS and B&Q and Next and WH Smith and Gap and BK and Thai & Italian & American & Mexican restaurants and Halfords and Starbucks and Pizza Express and Waterstones and Blackwells and Borders bookshps and fast(ish) regular trains and the Carphone Warehouse and multiplex cinemas and all-weather sports centres and JJC Sports and John Lewis and Costco and Ikea and cheap international flights and the M62 and Elland Road and Sam Smiths and mushy peas and ... and .. I have run out of things I would miss -- for now, at least.

(Just joking about mushy peas -- hate the things -- and the M62 -- although the latter does serve its purpose.)

Actually, I think I would miss my cosmopolitan circle of friends & colleagues as much as anything. I went to a small party just before Christmas and every single one of the six women there was foreign. So were several of the men. I would really miss that.

I love Caithness -- just couldn't easily live there again.

Pepsi challenge wrote
    And that's the beauty of opinion: no-one sees things in the same light. Long may it continue.
    We are all entitled to our own opinion, but we aren't entitled to our own facts.

DrSzin wrote

Well, I like the area east of York!

Somewhere near (or north-east of) Pocklington has many of the advantages of Caithness, but you have the facilities of York on your doorstep.
    A golden moment in my life was having a conversation in the middle of Pocklington town centre with a mini adventurer called A. Pocklington, biting on one of the most gorgeous pork pies I have ever tasted.

"By eck ist tha' done dreamin' Cock?"

"Aye! appen!" Bliss.

DrSzin wrote
    Actually, I think I would miss my cosmopolitan circle of friends & colleagues as much as anything. I went to a small party just before Christmas and every single one of the six women there was foreign. So were several of the men. I would really miss that.
    I was having a nice drink and meal just before Xmas in Wick. I look around in my party, and it consisted of one Englishman, one Scotswoman, two Canadians, a Hong Kongonian ( I couldn't think of a better word,sorry) and a French woman. There was also a group of men of oriental extraction which were sat at another table.

It appears the Rest of the World has lost its monopoly on Cosmopolitanism.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by stekar
    Believe class sizes are smaller up there too, which must be better.
    That is not true, not in Wick High School anyway. Our tech studies class will soon have between 35 and 40 people in it due to lack of teachers.
    If I was you, I would put my kids to Thurso High instead of Wick.

No worries, Rheghead, you project a feeling of contentment where you are. Good for you.

DrSzin, yes the north yorkshire moors are beautiful, but flipping expensive. Couldn't afford to buy more than a shoebox there.
    But, if you want a beeg change, then why not go for it? Keep us posted though. Remember to tell us how much you miss Sainsburys and ASDA and Marks & Sparks and DFS and B&Q and Next and WH Smith and Gap and BK and Thai & Italian & American & Mexican restaurants and Halfords and Starbucks and Pizza Express and Waterstones and Blackwells and Borders bookshps and fast(ish) regular trains and the Carphone Warehouse and multiplex cinemas and all-weather sports centres and JJC Sports and John Lewis and Costco and Ikea and cheap international flights and the M62 and Elland Road and Sam Smiths and mushy peas and ... and .. I have run out of things I would miss -- for now, at least
    Would probably only miss Asda, hubby won't though as he works for them! Must admit I do like Ikea. Very rarely eat out apart from taking the kids to Mcdonalds and I won't miss that and all the rubbish which is always found in the vicinity of a mcdonalds.

Regular trains , yep suppose they're not too bad but they're mucky and scruffy and often late.

M62, wonderful road Well the road is ok, it's the thousands of cars and muppets driving them that I won't miss

Can honestly say, don't think I would miss anything about Yorkshire

you said;

Can honestly say, don't think I would miss anything about Yorkshire[/quote]

So it's nothing like Emmerdale then? Mind you, you'll get a lot of Betty Egletons in Caithness!
    the pendulum has swung too far!

Yorkshire? By eck thez nowt better thun garn t't pub an avinn a gut belly fulla ale, an garn om tut missus. EE It wu' GRAND!!!

So it's nothing like Emmerdale then? Mind you, you'll get a lot of Betty Egletons in Caithness
    Where we live it's nothing like Emmerdale, btw I hate that programme!

minnicoll Guest

Move with open mind.......when we moved up to Caithness , we moved in the August .ready for our first .winter..We found it mind blowing and every year after that was spectactular.

Family reason's made us move back to England after nearly ten year's in Caithness....

I fell in love with every aspect of the highland's and all it had to offer,......and you will as long as you go with an open mind...........

i'd love to walk my dog through Castletown Forest or walk up to the top of Olrig

See Sinclair and Girnigo Castle again.or maybe climb down Whaligo step's for the sheer hell (cos i couldnt then)....Watch the raft races in a heavy tide on Thurso Beach.and see if the sea scouts could win....

And just before I left the Cinema Bus pulled up on the Riverside in Thurso...I'd liked to have tried that too.

Ive so many wonderfull memories of our time in Caithness .I'm sure you'll love every moment when you decide to move

Default Moving to Caithness

Colin may I quote this poem by John Horne ?

A GUIDE TO TRAVELLERS

If you have got the tramper's boast
    And up to Northern part you post
    When you perceive a rocky coast
    You may surmise it's Caithness.

If you see flagstones (set on end)
    By ditch and field their forms extend
    And should the trees to landward bend
    You may infer it's Caithness

If from their cots the natives creep
    And bid you welcome warm and deep
    Yet eye you with a quizzing peep
    You may conclude it's Caithness

And should they ask your parentage
    Your name, your business, hours and wage
    And what you've saved and what's your age
    You may be SURE it's Caithness!

[quote="DrSzin"]Well, I like the area east of York!

(Just joking about mushy peas -- hate the things -- and the M62 -- although the latter does serve its purpose.)

Henriettas chip shop sells mshy peas!

Default things i miss about the city

Choice of shops, being able to eat out at ten o'clock at night if I feel like it, the theatre, the ananonimity if I want it, choice of cinemas.
    What I don't miss about city life, traffic, smog, cost of living, having to supervise the kids when ever they went out to play, noise. homeless people sleeping on the streets.
    Crime - you may complain it is on the increase, but compared to the city guys, your criminals are ranking amateurs - they wouldn't last a minute. Having said that, the rot should be cut out as soon as it starts!

Quote Originally Posted by skydivvy
    Is nothing sacred?

Don't tell me -- they sell scraps too? Perish the thought...

Quote Originally Posted by DrSzin
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivvy
    Is nothing sacred?

Don't tell me -- they sell scraps too? Perish the thought...
    when I was young we used to be able to buy a bag of fried batter, or 'scraps' as you call them, cheaper than chips - but I remember it was delicious! Maybe the chippies should throw in a free bag, I mean it just goes in the bin anyway.

Is there a decent chippy in Caithness? The best one is in Castletown but it pales into insignificance when compared to others I have been to.

Default chippy

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    Is there a decent chippy in Caithness? The best one is in Castletown but it pales into insignificance when compared to others I have been to.
    Henriettas in Henrietta street Wick. definately the best, but because it is so popular, you might have to wait some time to be served. Also it shuts at 7.00pm.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123