Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: So they want to stick gruesome images on cigarette packs..??

Default So they want to stick gruesome images on cigarette packs..??

So they want to stick gruesome images on cigarette packs..??

Why not pictures of obese children on McDonald's packaging..? Why not tortured animals on cosmetics products..? Why not put the photos of the victims of drunken drivers, on beer and wine bottles..? Why not pictures of dishonest, thieving Politicians enjoying our money, on tax returns..?
    What are your thoughts on this!

Angelbabes...
    I'm not perfect, which is a shame really, as everyone else is!

Enjoying that fag, loser?

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Hasn't this been on the go for quite a while now?

Buy a cigarette case that was vogue in times gone past...then you dont have to see the pics if they offend.
    infact why not get new ones that combine somewhere to put the lighter and a portable ashtray and you are sorted!

If people want to smoke & drink they will, whatever the labels say

One reason would be the obviously addictive nature of tobacco, it's far more addictive that some illegal drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by pig whisperer View Post
    If people want to smoke & drink they will, whatever the labels say
    Although i stopped over 15yrs ago. I have to agree with you. I am also sick of seeing adverts about Cancer. I know people need to be aware, but. They seem to be on all the time.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

you have a very good point angel ,i agree fully

How much is a packet of fags in the UK now? A pack of 20 here ranges from about $2.50 - $5.00
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post

Why not pictures of obese children on McDonald's packaging..? Why not tortured animals on cosmetics products..? Why not put the photos of the victims of drunken drivers, on beer and wine bottles..? Why not pictures of dishonest, thieving Politicians enjoying our money, on tax returns..?
    What are your thoughts on this!

Angelbabes...

must say agree with this and as awful as its sounds i had a good laugh at it too!!
    My life is a book....... that I haven't got round to wrighting yet....

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear1873 View Post
    How much is a packet of fags in the UK now? A pack of 20 here ranges from about $2.50 - $5.00
    The ones that I buy are around £6.50. Most expensive packet I saw (Benson & Hedges) is around the 8 quid mark.

I haven't smoked for about 14 years now but when I did, nothing made me smoke like a lum more than a good old smoking kills documentary. Would puff away for the entire hour when my normal intake was about 10 a day.
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra_B View Post
    I haven't smoked for about 14 years now but when I did, nothing made me smoke like a lum more than a good old smoking kills documentary. Would puff away for the entire hour when my normal intake was about 10 a day.
    That showed them!

I don't actually smoke, but I enjoy a drink and at the moment I am doing my tax returns...

Angel...
    I'm not perfect, which is a shame really, as everyone else is!

I have no problem with this, it is being done already, although I doubt any benefit it will have.

As for McDonalds, I feel a bit sorry for them, I never hear of people calling for a ban on Johnston's Bridies or Robin's fish suppers.

Animal testing - I'd rather see a thousand dead rats than one dead human.

Your point about drunk drivers is nonsense.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

As I've said already this is just another instance of people getting annoyed when their vices are targeted. Your not against this in principle, just because it happens to affect something you do - you don't care that certain drugs are banned for instance. Tobacco is far more chemically addictive than any of your examples, it's even more addictive that some drugs which are currently banned. In each of your rather contrived and just plain bad examples you've picked the worst possible outcome if a certain set of conditions and behaviours are met for each, smoking tobacco really only has one outcome.

It's the other side of having a health service. It's a corollary to health policy. If we are going to have a national health service then that must be accompanied with policies that encourage healthy living and thus reduce the burden on the health service (as well as the police in the case of alcohol).

I'm normally against things like this but smoking tobacco/cigarettes is one of those things with no redeeming qualities.

They could put gruesome images on alcoholic drinks too. A photo of La Sturgeon would be more off-putting than a tumour, and more effective than a price of 50p per unit.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    I'm normally against things like this but smoking tobacco/cigarettes is one of those things with no redeeming qualities.
    The tax on tobacco and cigarettes is what finances the NHS!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    The tax on tobacco and cigarettes is what finances the NHS!
    Well it finances part of the government, they then allocate a portion of that to the NHS if they feel like it. Besides with people living longer this money is getting thinner and thinner, prevention is also cheaper than treatment.