Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: questions about newts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default questions about newts

I'm pretty sure i've read somewhere that it is against the law to remove newts from their environment? Is this correct.
    Many Thanks

newts are a protected so i would say yes that correct
    1. Frogs, Toads and Newts - UK Amphibian

Block all www.letsgogardening.co.uk results

It is illegal to handle these newts as they are a protected species. ... It is okay for these newts to be removed from danger by a member of the public

Thank you for the quick response Starfish, yesterday I was in Dunnet Forest and noticed a couple with their young child had newts and tadpoles in plastic containers and where heading to the car park??? I was unsure of what to do, as i didn't know how the law stood and didn't want to get into an arguement.

i am sorry to say the day has gone when you could go fishing in you nans pond with a bent safety pin and bit of knitting wool on a cane and a worm fishing for them happy memories
    Last edited by starfish; 13-May-12 at 21:09. Reason: spelling mistake

The forest gets a lot of visitors. There will be no newts or tadpoles there if idiots take them away.

Hey we took some tadpoles a week ago from the "wild"....they are going back once they change.
    To the same pond and area we got them from..they are in a tank with a filter and a big rock as a platform for when they need it and are fed daily with algae tabs and lettuce and once the legs start to appear they will start to get offered tubifex worms and then live bugs.
    Wouldnt touch the newts as some are more protected than others......
    But watching tadpoles turn into frogs is a wonderful science project to do with children, and as long as they have the best care and conditions to live in while observed and they go back...more tadpoles will have become frogs as no one to eat them in captivity and the kids learn a lot.
    Just dont use tap water without using tap safe first.........it will kill them.
    We used rainwater for ours.

Quote Originally Posted by starfish View Post
    newts are a protected so i would say yes that correct
    1. Frogs, Toads and Newts - UK Amphibian

Block all www.letsgogardening.co.uk results

It is illegal to handle these newts as they are a protected species. ... It is okay for these newts to be removed from danger by a member of the public

Would this apply if the appeared inebriated ?.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali