Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: looking for advice

Default looking for advice

can anyone give me some advise on how to stop my cat from scratching walls I'v tried scratch posts and sprays to keep him away from the walls but so far I'v had no luck.

I have a cat that does this, the only thing that stopped it was to put a bit of edging on every corner.

Its not the corners that the little devil goes for it anywhere on the wall.

I'm sure you can have them declawed at the vet if it's an indoor cat.

I bet you have blown vinyl or textured paper! cats go mad for it and there is nothing you can do but redecorate and hope it stays away, i got mine scratching posts and allsorts , all to no avail, the other thing is spray the wall with something lemon scented when cats scratch like this they always put down a scent at the same time and go back and back to the same spot. Cats dont like lemon scent so it might help but i wouldnt like to put my money on it x

Don't declaw your cat! I'm sure this is banned in this country? It's painful and cruel as it causes problems with their paws. I had asked about this a couple years ago and the vet said it was pet cruelty as it causes too much damage. Maybe he was wrong but there are lots of articles online about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair72 View Post
    Don't declaw your cat! I'm sure this is banned in this country? It's painful and cruel as it causes problems with their paws. I had asked about this a couple years ago and the vet said it was pet cruelty as it causes too much damage. Maybe he was wrong but there are lots of articles online about this.
    Thankfully it is indeed illegal in the UK as it is completely barbaric (although I suspect Bobbin was Trolling when it was suggested). It is not just the claws that are removed but the whole of the toe up to the first joint.
    I am the Real Ducati!

After reading up on It we have decided that it is not an option although I don't understand why you think that Bobbin would be trolling thereaulducati, they simply gave a suggestion

Get some carpet sample squares and pin them up on the cat's favourite scratching places, not the prettiest but will save your walls, as the cat gets used to 'his' scratchy bit you could gradually move them to a more convenient place and the cat should follow
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

There was a product on the market called sticky paws or something, it was basically bits of sticky plastic that you attached to areas they scratched and they obviously do not like the stickiness so they don't do it, the other option is a spray bottle of water and give a quick squirt every time it tries.
    Link http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...=47&pf_id=6851
    Last edited by unicorn; 15-Apr-12 at 21:29. Reason: adding link
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

We just used a water pistol...skoosh everytime and hung up cardboard with double sided tape on it...the little pest then tried out the back of the couch instead!Saw some plastic nail covers on ebay for indoor cats if that might be an option...think they were called soft paws or claws.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
    I'm sure you can have them declawed at the vet if it's an indoor cat.
    no you cannot. declawing is cruel and illegal in the uk.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

You can get plastic nail coverings called soft claws just like putting false nails on your cat.... Once the nail grows a bit they are meant to fall off, maybe worth a thought until your cat breaks the habit of scratching your walls

Default Declawing

Declawing is quite rightly illegal u,n the uk, have heard spraying the area with peppermint works
    Last edited by Crazydaisy; 01-May-19 at 00:50. Reason: Mistake

Been there done that and worn the T shirt. We’ve been staff to many cats over the years and from time to time we’ve had similar problems. The cat can become a habitual clawer because it is stressed; think about it, has anything in the home environment changed that could have triggered this behaviour? Even simple things like rearranging the furniture to major house refurbishment can cause a cat stress. There could be an underlying health reason for the cat to leave ‘markers’ around the house too. We found Feliway useful in calming our furry friends. Whatever you do speak with your vet. Even if it could be done, declawing your cat would be the ultimate act of cruelty and only increase the cat’s stress.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou