Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Problem with rooks

Default Problem with rooks

Can someone help me my feeders are being attacked by rooks, ive tried tying them with wire etc but they just wreck the feeder with that beak
    its not just a pain as they destory all feeder but they have scared off my finches so have to get rid off them

please advice as i want my gold finches and slow birds back

Where are your feeders located that the rooks can access them?
    We had a similar problem with gulls but by putting a roof on the bird table and suspending the feeders under it, it denies access to the larger birds as they have no where to perch.

We are having problems with them actually attacking our birds, physically eating them alive,
    yesterday it was a female duck it attacked, but in the past year we have lost in excess of 30 hens, 19 doves and now they are after the ducks.

Shoot Them. If this is'nt your cup of tea I did see some bird scarers on the way to inverness, basically they were silouhetted cut out birds of prey on a wire which is attched to the ground, acting as a scarecrow or scarerook.

i suggest that shooting them might be a tad illegal in a garden, and rather dangerous! The sensible answer is as LIZZ says, try ways of making your feeders inaccessible to them. Whilst on the subject of Rooks, I spent a fabulous couple of hours watching them at a local rookery - they are fascinating!