Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop the wind blowing your bin open!

Tilly Teckel Guest

Lightbulb Stop the wind blowing your bin open!

Getting a bit sick of heaving a big stone onto my bin to keep it closed in the wind, then I found this in Birons the hardware place in Wick. It's a strap which fastens around the handle at the back of your wheelie bin, then pulls over the lid and hooks underneath. I've posted some pics cos I'm not so good at explaining things! It's mostly made from some strong webbing-type stuff with an elastic bit so you can stretch it at the end. I tried a bungee-cord (think that's what they're called?!) before but the bliddy thing was too elastic-y and kept pinging back and catching me with the sharp hook! This is much safer and nicer to use and stays attached to the handle of the bin even when it's being emptied. Only thing is I need to go back for another now cos I forgot I have two bins! D'oh

Now that is a cracking idea!
    I've been using a plastic rubble sack filled with 1.5Kg of sand and then tied off in a hessian sandbag. While this does the job it isn't the prettiest accessory in the back garden.
    Birons here I come!
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

I must get myself thru to wick then! Im sick of lifting heavy stones onto my bins and i have 5 bins lol.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

tilly tickel Hope you are going to get commision. from all the sales from birons.

We built a cubby with a door for our bins so we don't have to look at them all the time!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

I use those elastic bungee cords with hooks, the kind for stapping down items on a bike, cannot think of the proper name for them - use them side to side or back to front certainly keeps the lids down.

Bungee cord. Cheap and effective.

Thank you - had a senior moment

Bungee cords come with a metal hook; if you're not careful and the hook springs back it can cause a nasty injury. At least this strap affair has a plastic hook which is less likely to cut you.
    Maya Angelou

Tilly Teckel Guest

I can vouch for that - I've been the victim of a couple of bungee cord attacks!

What a good idea. Wonder why these bins are not supplied complete with straps as I get sick of seeing rubbish all over the place on a windy day when bins are waiting for collection so surely it would be cost-effective for the Council, save them picking up?
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

How much did it cost?

Tilly Teckel Guest

Geo, it cost a fiver. Well worth it too! I agree with badger too - the council could save themselves some money if they issued these with wheelie bins.

surely you would have to take it off for the bin men as it may slow them down or they'd have to do something outwith their job description? i have a problem with people putting rubbish in my bin and tried a bungee but was left a note by the bin men to remove it (and they didn't collect my rubbish that day)

They probably refused to handle your bin with a bungee for the reasons already mentioned - metal hooks on the end - the potential for nasty injury. These straps are attached to the hinge end of the lid and the hook at the other end has no sharp pointed edges. IMO they are much better than any bungee.
    Maya Angelou

Tilly Teckel Guest

I've had no bother from the bin men. I think they're glad not to have to shift a big stone off my bin before they can move it!

Default BinBoyo Bin Straps

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly Teckel View Post
    Getting a bit sick of heaving a big stone onto my bin to keep it closed in the wind, then I found this in Birons the hardware place in Wick. It's a strap which fastens around the handle at the back of your wheelie bin, then pulls over the lid and hooks underneath. I've posted some pics cos I'm not so good at explaining things! It's mostly made from some strong webbing-type stuff with an elastic bit so you can stretch it at the end. I tried a bungee-cord (think that's what they're called?!) before but the bliddy thing was too elastic-y and kept pinging back and catching me with the sharp hook! This is much safer and nicer to use and stays attached to the handle of the bin even when it's being emptied. Only thing is I need to go back for another now cos I forgot I have two bins! D'oh

Hi Tilly Teckel

I'm pleased that you are finding the new "BinBoyo Bin Straps" useful, they are proving to be very popular.

I'm sure you wont mind, but I used your photos to show them off on our web site .

Regards

www.birons.co.uk
    Visit our shop at 20 Bridge street, Wick
    Tel/fax 01955 604655
    'like' us on Facebook - BironsIronmongersWick

Do they supply a bungee strap for kids? they always seem to be depositing rubbish round my way, windy day or not....

I got them,what a great idea for caithness as we do get strong winds to say the least.

Looks like you found a good solutuion to your problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast