MSP argues area could accommodate some of the responsibilities

WILDLIFE CRIME, mountain rescue, corporate service (HR, Finance, IT ) and rural roads policing could all be managed and serviced from a ‘hub’ of the new Scottish Police Force sited in the North, claimd David Stewart MSP.
Speaking at the Justice Committee this afternoon, Mr Stewart sought reassurance from the Cabinet Secretary for Justice that these functions could be managed from a hub in the Highlands & Islands, rather than all such roles being managed from the Central belt.
Responding, Kenny McAskill advised that it was not for him, but the new chief constable and the new Scottish Police Authority to look at such matters, but it was expected that many functions could be spread out across Scotland.
David Stewart, speaking after the committee commented: “I will be doing my utmost to protect services up in the North, which I remind people includes Moray. Too many organisations are pulling their resources in around the central belt, but in this case we have to try and secure back office and police support staff roles. In the past year I understand that there has been a reduction of 27 support staff posts in the Northern Constabulary Force area and a reduction of 58 support staff roles in Grampian. Where are these posts going? There is absolutely no reason why some of the Supporting functions of this single Force cannot be managed from the North and I will be lobbying the Police Reform Team to try and ensure this happens”.