Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Job Hunters-Beggars?

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    I'm willingly looking for work, however with the Job Market as it is there is not a constant supply of suitable vacancies... On such weeks that there are no vacancies to apply for then I am given no choice but to go begging, either by post, phone or email, to some employer. If I didn't, it would be deemed that I was not doing enough & could have my money stopped...

Is that not being coerced?
    Some would say it's begging....

OK, firstly my choice of words could have been better, beggar might not be the best description but this was sent in a private message and was directed only at David who was querying the rules on posting in the Job Vacancies forum. However, I've said it now and feel no reason to argue about my poor choice of words.

Secondly, let me point out again, I am not my father and I am not a councillor. We are not like Peter Parker and Spiderman and can regularly be seen together in the same place. I can provide a photo if further proof is required.

Now onto the rules regarding the Job Vacancies forum.

We do not allow "Looking for work" adverts due to the fact that they are a waste of time, a waste of server space and a waste of effort in looking after.

Employers who advertise positions on our site have regularly reported how happy they are with the level of response they have received from their adverts and also on the quality of applicants. I'm sure they feel the same way about adverts they place elsewhere as well. As they are very busy trawling through suitable applicants, very few of them will have the time to they go and trawl through hundreds of "Looking for work" adverts. This simple fact makes "Looking for work" adverts useless.

So obviously, passing on parts of a private message to people to whom it was not directed has generated a few negative comments towards me. I'm sure that was David's intention in posting in the first place. Strangely (or not), he decided to comment in the public forum and not reply to the private message.

Anyway, I'll address a couple of them...

Quote Originally Posted by david
    How long before this thread goes missing?.......
    Your thread was removed from the Job Vacancies forum as it was not a Job Vacancy.

Quote Originally Posted by radiohead
    So a moderator refers to job seekers as beggars, but doesn't deal with offensive and hurtful posts on the cruise thread. Double standards from the internet gestapo I think....
    Apart from the first couple of posts when the thread was started, I've not read it although I understand the other admins and moderators are debating how best to tackle the issues on the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by starfish
    i just hope mr fernie never finds himself unemployed and has to ask for a job how low would that be for him.
    In the 20 odd years since I left school I've found myself unemployed several times and a couple of times for longer than a year. I know full well how depressing it can be. I have in those years applied for literally hundreds of jobs and have received enough rejection letters (back when they used to bother to send them) to wallpaper all the rooms in my house.

I do feel the pain of people who have been unemployed for a long time but why would I give them false hope by encouraging them to post up pointless "looking for work" adverts.

I also recognise a great deal of difference between those types of ads and writing to specific employers looking for work, having done that as well I know there is a world of difference mainly due to the intent of the letter.

So to finish, I made a comment in a private message to david who used that to cause upset to other people. There's not much I can do about that, but I can defend my reasons for not allowing "looking for work" adverts on my web site.

We do not allow "Looking for work" adverts due to the fact that they are a waste of time, a waste of server space and a waste of effort in looking after. as said by mr fernie

tell the job centre this as they tell you to contact employers every avenue that can lead to a job is not a waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Fernie View Post
    So to finish, I made a comment in a private message to david who used that to cause upset to other people. There's not much I can do about that, but I can defend my reasons for not allowing "looking for work" adverts on my web site.
    Niall, there's a lot you can do about that...................Be like other Forums and make the rule that anyone quoting all, or part of, private messages has their membership terminated immediately. This is the only Forum I know that allows PM's to be quoted, it isn't right and should be stopped forthwith!!!

C3......................

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    Be like other Forums and make the rule that anyone quoting all, or part of, private messages has their membership terminated immediately.
    I'll have a think about that, it does seem like a good idea in most cases. Perhaps with an addition of "unless stated by the sender that its ok to quote".

I'll have a think about that, it does seem like a good idea in most cases. Perhaps with an addition of "unless stated by the sender that its ok to quote".
    Yes that's right, if both parties agree that it can be posted then fine.
    I always thought that was the idea of the PM service, that it's kept private, not splashed all over the Forum for all to see!
    It's well worth implementing in my opinion !

C3.................

OK, firstly my choice of words could have been better, beggar might not be the best description but this was sent in a private message and was directed only at David who was querying the rules on posting in the Job Vacancies forum. However, I've said it now and feel no reason to argue about my poor choice of words.

Secondly, let me point out again, I am not my father and I am not a councillor. We are not like Peter Parker and Spiderman and can regularly be seen together in the same place. I can provide a photo if further proof is required.

Now onto the rules regarding the Job Vacancies forum.

We do not allow "Looking for work" adverts due to the fact that they are a waste of time, a waste of server space and a waste of effort in looking after.

Employers who advertise positions on our site have regularly reported how happy they are with the level of response they have received from their adverts and also on the quality of applicants. I'm sure they feel the same way about adverts they place elsewhere as well. As they are very busy trawling through suitable applicants, very few of them will have the time to they go and trawl through hundreds of "Looking for work" adverts. This simple fact makes "Looking for work" adverts useless.

So obviously, passing on parts of a private message to people to whom it was not directed has generated a few negative comments towards me. I'm sure that was David's intention in posting in the first place. Strangely (or not), he decided to comment in the public forum and not reply to the private message.

Anyway, I'll address a couple of them...

Your thread was removed from the Job Vacancies forum as it was not a Job Vacancy.

Apart from the first couple of posts when the thread was started, I've not read it although I understand the other admins and moderators are debating how best to tackle the issues on the thread.

In the 20 odd years since I left school I've found myself unemployed several times and a couple of times for longer than a year. I know full well how depressing it can be. I have in those years applied for literally hundreds of jobs and have received enough rejection letters (back when they used to bother to send them) to wallpaper all the rooms in my house.

I do feel the pain of people who have been unemployed for a long time but why would I give them false hope by encouraging them to post up pointless "looking for work" adverts.

I also recognise a great deal of difference between those types of ads and writing to specific employers looking for work, having done that as well I know there is a world of difference mainly due to the intent of the letter.

Mmm " Strangely or not" my reply pm to your original pm has now gone missing despite me checking it had been sent? Okay how about you just posting on here your pm to me? (which was the content of my missing pm to you). And why label the longtermed unemployed as "beggars"? Still it is your website as you have pointed out-I thought it was Caithness.Org, not niall fernie.org- So its okay for you to cause me upset as long as I don't pass it on?? "We don't allow looking for work adverts"? Wots that all about? You allow lots of other trash to be banded about for days. Have you really been out of school that long? Still well done it is after all your web site.

Stop digging.

[QUOTE=Phill;938310]Stop digging.[/

Why? I ain't scared. Go to www. niall fernie.co.uk for all your Caithness news.

If you just say sorry I'm sure they will leave it be, they might even let you be a councillor one day then you can do anything you wish

sorry mr fernie if you say something in private or not if you can not back it up keep quite

Tilly Teckel Guest

Many years ago I landed my first job by sending out letters to lots of potential employers, none of whom were advertising for staff, and I got nothing but positive feedback for my initiative. I agree that a person who has the desire to work and is not afraid to ask for it is the sort of person most employers would be interested in. Good luck to you!

Come on Niall, post your pm to me here, It's your website don't forget..

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Come on Niall, post your pm to me here, It's your website don't forget..
    Come on David.
    Quit this while you are ahead.

{Go to www. niall fernie.co.uk for all your Caithness news.}i see do not want people to say they are looking for work does this mean he does not get commission for the advert

Why should he? its a PM = private message, what part of private are you having a problem with?

As you pointed out, its his web site, I am sure there are plenty of others out there if you look.

Why not put an ad in the local paper looking for work, good luck with your job search.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Why should he? its a PM = private message, what part of private are you having a problem with?

As you pointed out, its his web site, I am sure there are plenty of others out there if you look.

Why not put an ad in the local paper looking for work, good luck with your job search.
    Well said changilass, david throwing a hissy again, and stamping his foot
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Well said changilass, david throwing a hissy again, and stamping his foot
    Not really Golach. Why can't niall make his pm to me public on his website.This website belongs to him after all.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Not really Golach. Why can't niall make his pm to me public on his website.This website belongs to him after all.
    Tough its Nialls ball, his rules, like it....or lump it, I am with Niall
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Default On Your Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly Teckel View Post
    Many years ago I landed my first job by sending out letters to lots of potential employers, none of whom were advertising for staff, and I got nothing but positive feedback for my initiative. I agree that a person who has the desire to work and is not afraid to ask for it is the sort of person most employers would be interested in. Good luck to you!
    I think it was Norman Tebbit's dad that suggested people "get on their bike" and look for work and I'm not against that principle either, however I do also appreciate how hard it is in the current labour market to get game-full employment.

Tilly Teckkel's experience of job search is a good example of pro active endeavor to find work and I would look favourably as a would be employer to anyone that took that approach.

I can understand David and his frustration, but I also understood the rules of the forum and thought it unwise to post a job wanted when I first saw the post and I'm not surprised that it was removed.

Nialls poor choice of words does surprise me, but he has given a full explanation and an apology. I fail to see how dragging this out will benefit David in the long term.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast