Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Job Hunters-Beggars?

Default Job Hunters-Beggars?

Do any of you out there think that those folks who advertise "looking for work" in newspapers and other media are "Beggars"? Ive just recieved a pm from Mr Fernie who states this. So are job hunters begging-sounds a bit strong to me?

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Do any of you out there think that those folks who advertise "looking for work" in newspapers and other media are "Beggars"? Ive just recieved a pm from Mr Fernie who states this. So are job hunters begging-sounds a bit strong to me?
    Is Mr Fernie not a councillor?

I personally would have thought you were "offering your services" which is just the same as a job advert but in reverse.

I would prefer to employ someone who had the initiative to try to search for work rather than someone who has been sent along by the job centre as a tick to be fulfilled as part of seeking a job and keeping their benefits.

Best wishes in finding some type of work, voluntary or otherwise.

Beggars have a choice.... Job Hunters are actively coerced into such behaviour by the Job Centre
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

I would have thought there were well over a million people in this country begging for work right now and it's going to get worse!!
    If you are desperate it's not a crime to beg for something!!.......I often have to beg for forgiveness but that's another story!!

C3.................

Is Mr Fernie not a councillor?
    It was Niall Fernie who referred to job hunters as beggars.

Maybe they are or maybe they're not it really doesn't matter. At least it shows a willingness to work which is becoming rare indeed. Hats off to the people that try so hard, I hope they one day find themselves in a position to call people beggars but don't as they know how it feel to wall in that shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Restlessnative View Post
    Maybe they are or maybe they're not it really doesn't matter. At least it shows a willingness to work which is becoming rare indeed. Hats off to the people that try so hard, I hope they one day find themselves in a position to call people beggars but don't as they know how it feel to wall in that shoes.
    It still worries me that this "Org" moderator refers to JS as beggars though.

there is no real jobs out there , a single mum i know has just been told by the job centre now that her last child is 5 she has to get work or do voluntarily work, She would willing work if she could find child care, and public transport to get her from the village she works , she has no transport of her own.If the government want people to work they need to put a lot more child care and transport in place . What well happen to all these 5 year old roam the streets because the government has sent mummy to work Not all single mum started out that way some are there for reason beyond there control.As for being called a beggar because you have posted on here that you available for work is just plain stupid, I would rather employ some one that is really looking for work and not some one whom has been told to get off they behinds by the job centre.

I don't know him or in the context it was ment.

I think most people realise that the org is not actually a public venture so I'm not moved to have any veiw on the matter out of principle.

So a moderator refers to job seekers as beggars, but doesn't deal with offensive and hurtful posts on the cruise thread. Double standards from the internet gestapo I think....

Quote Originally Posted by radiohead View Post
    So a moderator refers to job seekers as beggars, but doesn't deal with offensive and hurtful posts on the cruise thread. Double standards from the internet gestapo I think....
    How long before this thread goes missing?.......

Just before I read through the rest of the thread, I am not a councillor.

I would say beggars are the ones sitting on the street doing nothing with a cup in hand. Getting of your backside, having the initiative to put an advert in the paper offering your skills & services is definitely not! I wonder if Mr Fernie would still be saying this if it was HIM out of work struggling to support a family & keep a roof over his head!!
    life may not be a party be while were here we might as well dance!!

If I wanted someone to work for me I would advertise the fact, not go trawling through hundreds of threads on a website looking for someone.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Nonesense,many people are look for work willingly and are not coerced into such behaviour by the job centre
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Beggars have a choice.... Job Hunters are actively coerced into such behaviour by the Job Centre
    "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    If I wanted someone to work for me I would advertise the fact, not go trawling through hundreds of threads on a website looking for someone.
    That is well put, more or less what Mr Fernie said without the need to refer to "beggars".

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Fernie View Post
    Just before I read through the rest of the thread, I am not a councillor.
    Thats great news!

i just hope mr fernie never finds himself unemployed and has to ask for a job how low would that be for him. In this day and age its nothing to be ashamed of being unemployed many hard working people whom have held a job for a number of years have now found they selfs unemployed.I feel sorry for them sort of people, they feel low enough without being called a beggar by some high almighty

Quote Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
    Nonesense,many people are look for work willingly and are not coerced into such behaviour by the job centre
    I'm willingly looking for work, however with the Job Market as it is there is not a constant supply of suitable vacancies... On such weeks that there are no vacancies to apply for then I am given no choice but to go begging, either by post, phone or email, to some employer. If I didn't, it would be deemed that I was not doing enough & could have my money stopped...

Is that not being coerced?
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast