Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: William Miller (c1776-1862) & Ann Bain (c1777-1863)

Default William Miller (c1776-1862) & Ann Bain (c1777-1863)

Hello all,

I am researching the family of William Miller & Ann Bain, and was hoping that somebody else had a similar interest.

William Miller (c1776-1862) married Ann Bain (c1777-1863) on 23 November 1805 in Lyth, Bower (source LDS website - not yet confirmed in the OPR). As far as I can tell they had six children...

Donald 1806-1884
    John 1808
    George 1809
    Margaret 1811
    William 1812-1900 (my G.G. Grandfather)
    James 1814-1893

I have a fair bit of information for William Miller (1812-1900) and his family - wife Catherine Ross, and their children; also some details on Donald Miller (1806-1884) - wife Christina Steven, and their children.

If anyone is researching the same family I would love to hear from you.

Regards,
    Steven (Thurso)

Steven
    I too am descended from William Miller and Annie Bain. They had a son Andrew born July 1809 confirmed by the parish register entry and Andrew's death certificate (I don't know of a George do you have any other details about him?).
    I can pass on information to you about Andrew and his wife Margaret's family plus the details I have on William and Annie's family. Andrew was my G G Grandfather.

Regards

Sue (In Western Australia)

Sue,

Thanks for getting in touch. At this point I should first say that I mistakenly gave William Miller (1812-1900) as my G.G.Grandfather: I missed one Great - it should be G.G.G. Grandfather. Now that is out of the way I'll recap the information I have.

I have only looked for the marriage of William Miller & Ann Bain on the LDS website thus far, as is the case for their children. I have yet to go and look through the OPR records myself, but will be doing this soon - probably this weekend. I notice when doing the search again on the LDS website that there is an Andrew Miller that I missed. Strangely I notice that George and Andrew are both given as being baptised in 1809: one in May, and the other in July. So until I can check the records I don't know what is going on there!

I have confirmed the details of William Miller (1812-1900), and his brother Donald Miller (1806-1884) using the statutory records, and by checking the cemetery records for Wick - William and his wife Catherine Ross being buried in a family plot bought by Donald Miller's wife Christina Steven on 27th August 1884. I feel fairly confident that I have also managed to latch onto the brother James Miller (1814-1893), although I have yet to fully explore his family.

I will send you a private message with my email address, and you can get in touch if you'd like so we can exchange information.

Kind Regards,
    Steven