Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Loch shell filling station

Garnet ---- we had Coconut cake today. It didn't last long either.

As for The Farm shop, we are initially aiming tio stock as much fresh veg as possible. Jams & preserves if possible. Homemade pickles & chutney's, including Christmas chutney & Pickled grapes, (gorgeous with cold meats).

Doolally ----- know somebody who makes their own honeycomb. I will have to query if he can make some, as the taste is divine.

Anybody else out there with suggestions of things we might be able to offer or something they have not seen for ages, or even cannot get up here.

Coconut cake......dash.
    So whats on tomorrw then...cakewise that is!
    People who think they know it all....are especially annoying to those of us that do.

Really good to see you so busy again today.
    Regards
    bobbysbus

For all those asking - myself & benjamin are there most nights this week in order to get the Farm Shop as ready as we can for this coming weekend.

We are CLOSED on thursdays, so this will give up a whole day on it.

Fingers crossed.

....and GARNET.

It was Lemon cake today, may be a cherry one tomorrow or Friday.

Went there yesterday (Tuesday) and had a great welcome. Nice cuppa and slice of cake. Will go back a number of times.

Well that's nice Mr Glynsu...tell me about a lemon cake..after it's gone, that's not fair , so what's on for saturday and sunday then...I may just come in for spite...lol. G
    People who think they know it all....are especially annoying to those of us that do.

OK, all you friends out there. The website should now be up and running. As like Rivendell it is Work In Progress.

www.rivendellgardencenter.co.uk

Glyn

Just a suggestion, but why not put a map on the website to show where you are ??
    All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

been in and had a nice lunch, very good price, to be honest i think you could do better if you got rid of the big counter as i dont see the requirement for it, it takes up room you could use for another 2 tables also freeing up some room round the existing tables, a small counter leading into the kitchen would be more fitting, but thats just an opinion,,,, as i said nice wee place for a cuppa beats tescos cafe any day, hope you go from strength to strength, but remember to keep it personal

riggerboy (possibly the nicest thng i`ve ever written on here)
    if it wasnt for pubs it would be tescos for us all

Looked at your web site Glynsu.....it realy is smart it, really liked it, will sign up for news letter, see you soon. G.

Default Good Food

I had fish chips & peas for dinner, and very nice it was.

Good luck to you both.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

At long last, my daughter had to go over to Italy last week due to her job. So she got me a proper translation of the italian article.

Here it is:

Scotland, inaugurated a new garden center dedicated to Rivendell. Reported on 16 April 2012. It was inaugurated in the Caithness, a county more to the north of the Scotland. The garden center is a little distant from the capital Wick, the site has a particularity: it is called "Rivendell". The name naturally is taken from the name of the "Last Comfortable House" in the Land-of-means invented by J. R. R. Tolkien. It is Big Ravine, the residence of Elrond, where the Elves still manage to live in balance with nature. And actual this is the purpose of Glyn and Benjamin Salisbury, father and son that have embarked on an enterprise of gardencare on the site of a ruined gasoline station called Lochshell. The inauguration of the new garden center, Saturday 14 April, was conducted by Lord John Thurso, elected member of parliament in the local district of Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross and third viscount of the capital Thurso.

Glyn Salisbury (to the center in the photography above) is a writer that has lived for years in the Scottish county with his wife, Sue, two daughters Jenny and Elizabeth, and his son Benjamin. The attractive northern coast of the county of Caithness is the background on which the acclaimed "Oscar", a thriller in which the thoughtless exploitation of the nature is at the center of a story that escalates from the gruesome discovery of the carcass of a sheep, on the shores close to Duncansby Head. Glyn Salisbury has a program to write a trilogy based on the Caithness Coast.

The project of the botanical garden center is a way to restore the natural balance to a site devastated by previous owners. "We chose this name", Glyn said, "because naturally we love The Lord of the Rings of J. R. R. Tolkien. Rivendell is a place of beauty just like our garden center.The house where we live in is called Bag End, like the house of Bilbo Baggins. We could not resist putting a green round door about 6 feet in diameter, complete with a yellow handle!".

The place completely is transformed: where first there was a gasoline pump in disuse and an unlawful dumping ground there is now a garden center, a coffee shop, a shop for the sale of gifts from local craftspeople. Glyn and Benjamin have working tirelessly with a very minimal budget and succeeded in realizing the garden center. But the two see it like a stage of a more ongoing project.

Rivendell should become, slowly, a mainstream gardencenter, with typical plants to survive in the Highlands and also some exotic examples. This is because, how it Tolkien writes: "Every tree has its enemy, little have a lawyer". A little later this week the website of the Rivendell garden center will also be live.

You go to the website at : www.rivendellgardencenter.co.uk.
    You can also go to the website of Glyn Salisbury at : www.glynsalisbury.co.uk

PS:

Starting next Saturday, the 5th May, we shall be open later at night as well. At least 7pm or later. If customers are in, we will not close.

The first of the fresh veg arrives this week for the farm shop.

Glyn

Just to let everybody know, the Farm Shop is now officially open

Glyn

Hi Everybody,

We are now on Summer Opening Hours.

Open 9:30am and close at 7:00pm (at least).

Glyn

Quote Originally Posted by Glynsu View Post
    At long last, my daughter had to go over to Italy last week due to her job. So she got me a proper translation of the italian article.

Here it is:

Scotland, inaugurated a new garden center dedicated to Rivendell. Reported on 16 April 2012. It was inaugurated in the Caithness, a county more to the north of the Scotland. The garden center is a little distant from the capital Wick, the site has a particularity: it is called "Rivendell". The name naturally is taken from the name of the "Last Comfortable House" in the Land-of-means invented by J. R. R. Tolkien. It is Big Ravine, the residence of Elrond, where the Elves still manage to live in balance with nature. And actual this is the purpose of Glyn and Benjamin Salisbury, father and son that have embarked on an enterprise of gardencare on the site of a ruined gasoline station called Lochshell. The inauguration of the new garden center, Saturday 14 April, was conducted by Lord John Thurso, elected member of parliament in the local district of Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross and third viscount of the capital Thurso.

Glyn Salisbury (to the center in the photography above) is a writer that has lived for years in the Scottish county with his wife, Sue, two daughters Jenny and Elizabeth, and his son Benjamin. The attractive northern coast of the county of Caithness is the background on which the acclaimed "Oscar", a thriller in which the thoughtless exploitation of the nature is at the center of a story that escalates from the gruesome discovery of the carcass of a sheep, on the shores close to Duncansby Head. Glyn Salisbury has a program to write a trilogy based on the Caithness Coast.

The project of the botanical garden center is a way to restore the natural balance to a site devastated by previous owners. "We chose this name", Glyn said, "because naturally we love The Lord of the Rings of J. R. R. Tolkien. Rivendell is a place of beauty just like our garden center.The house where we live in is called Bag End, like the house of Bilbo Baggins. We could not resist putting a green round door about 6 feet in diameter, complete with a yellow handle!".

The place completely is transformed: where first there was a gasoline pump in disuse and an unlawful dumping ground there is now a garden center, a coffee shop, a shop for the sale of gifts from local craftspeople. Glyn and Benjamin have working tirelessly with a very minimal budget and succeeded in realizing the garden center. But the two see it like a stage of a more ongoing project.

Rivendell should become, slowly, a mainstream gardencenter, with typical plants to survive in the Highlands and also some exotic examples. This is because, how it Tolkien writes: "Every tree has its enemy, little have a lawyer". A little later this week the website of the Rivendell garden center will also be live.

You go to the website at : www.rivendellgardencenter.co.uk.
    You can also go to the website of Glyn Salisbury at : www.glynsalisbury.co.uk
    "Rivendell" is a misguided gimmick.

Call it Lochshell- it might even help people find it.

Well we got there at last................and it was well worth the wait.

Coffee was just right, and the cherry cake absolutely divine.

There are loads of interesting crafty stuff to view and an excellent selection of unusual sweeties.

Hubby was suitably impressed and has promised a breakfast or lunch next time we are over that side of the county. It will be lovely sitting out in the better weather and hope the tourists find it if we ever get a summer.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Brilliant Poppett. Thank you for compliments.

Look forward to seeing you again sometime.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567