Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bain family in Wick

Question Bain family in Wick

I have two Bain families in this area (or maybe they're actually branches of the same family!), but I'm interested in one in particular at the moment.

Janet Bain was born c1809 in Caithness. She lived in Wick and died there on 14 Mar 1865. I'm not sure if she was married, but she had at least 2 children by 2 different fathers: Donald Barry (1832) with Henry Barry and Janet Davender (1839-1887) with James/David Davender. Janet Bain's father's name was Alexander (born c1762) and her mother was probably Janet Bain. Alexander and Janet were married 25 Jan 1792 in Wick. In addition to Janet, they had the following children:

Elizabeth (1793)
    Margaret (1795)
    George (1803)
    Alexina (1808-1862)
    Donald (1812)

Does anyone have these people in their family tree? I would like to find out more about the ancestry of Alexander and Janet Bain.

I have a Jessie Davender (c1838) in my family tree she was my great great grandmother, she married a William Bain (c1834) their daughter Johnina Bain was my Great Grandmother if that is of any help

Talking

Hello, cousin! Your information is not really of any help as far as further tracing the ancestry of these folks, but it does show that we are related. Johnina Bain was my great-great-great-grandmother's youngest sister! I'm descended from Hughina Bain (1857). Hughina's daughter, Isabella Bain, was born in 1877, the same year as Johnina.

Sorry I cannot seem to get further back than Jessie Davender and William Bain I have started to do the other side of my family tree, but if you get any information you can let me know

William Bain's line goes back quite a few generations. PM me if you'd like more information.

Janet Bain had a 3rd child with Hugh Mowat in 1835 - named Hugh Mowat or Bain Sep 22 1835. She may have been born as early as 1805 in Stirkoke - check the OPR"S and sister Alexina as early as 1808..
    Hugh is living with his aunt Elizabeth in Staxigoe in 1851.

a candidate for Alexander is the one born in 1761 to George Bain and Elspet Finlayson - need to check OPR's as it's a member submission on the IGI but often ones with specfiic dates are really in the OPR"S

Mamie
    Last edited by Mamie_2; 08-Mar-12 at 20:31. Reason: additional info

If that is true, then I've got another line to look at: Finlayson. I've already got Finlaysons in another branch of this tree. Certain names keep popping up in my Caithness families!

Would the OPR be on Scotland's People? I've not had a lot of luck with that site (and it's so expensive to just browse)!

Yes the OPR"S are on ScolandsPeople but first you could try FreeREG - a lot of Caithness is on it but not that much yet for Wick. This is a more complete transcription of the OPR entry usually. It's really not that expensive if you have a specific person you are looking for.

I personally use a combination of the IGI, FreeREG for dates up to 1854 and ScotlandsPeople.

A lot of families did intermarry over time so your Finlayson's maybe connected to Elspet/Elizabeth.

FreeREG
    http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

Mamie

Hi, Iam also a descendent of Hughina she was my great-great gran. Isobellas' daughter (Hughina also) was my Grandmother, who married a Bannerman from Backies, Golspie.
    If you would like more information email me on ssillito65@gmail.com.
    Regards
    Sarah