Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sweets from your Childhood

Thumbs up Sweets from your Childhood

Meiklejohns, Thurso Street, Wick have just taken delivery of a new range of sweeties that evoke memories of days gone by. How many you remember from your childhood? We have:

Wrapped Bars:

• Mint cream
    • Strawberry dream
    • Macaroon
    • Butter Tablet
    • Scottish Fudge
    • Banoffee Cream
    • Raspberry Ripple Cream
    Goodsweet & Carruthers bags: sealed in a kraft paper bag with a foiled description, these would make attractive gifts -
    • Scillian Sherbet Lemons
    • English Rhubarb & Creme Anglais
    • Unpronounceable Welsh Mints
    • Jamaican Ginger Beer Balls
    • West Indian Lime & Belgian Chocolate
    • Strawberry & Champagne Sherbets
    • Dark West African Cola Kubes
    • Muscavado Butterscotch and Barbadian Spice
    • Blackcurrant & Dutch Licquorice
    • Taunton Toffee Apple
    Weigh outs:

• Chelsea Whoppers (tastes like chocolate fudge)
    • Crispet (chocolate pieces with coconut)
    We hope you like the sound of them (and the taste!)

As well as these old fashioned sweeties, we are delighted to be stocking Passion Fruit Hearts made by Caithness Chocolates. We are so lucky to have a local company making such delicious, high range chocolates. The hearts are a limited edition so don't leave it too late but we will still have a selection of the truffles for you to treat yourself if you do miss them.

Thank you for your support, which is always appreciated.
    ~*~ Gill ~*~
    Meiklejohns Confectioners, Thurso Street, Wick
    Open every day 8 am - 10.30 pm

Wit - nae cola cubes!!!!
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Just got lucky tatties from a wee shop in Mastrick, brings back loads of memories. Everyone should have sweet memories from their past.

Will have to call in next time we come home for a visit.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Gronnuck, we have cola cubes all the time! There are some in that list too - Dark West African Cola Kubes.

Changilass, we have Lucky Tatties too. Peedie ones. You'll be very welcome if you do pop in.

We are always happy to try and source sweeties if you've taken a notion for something that we don't have in stock.
    ~*~ Gill ~*~

Can you describe the strawberry dream bars please?

My favourite all time ever sweetie was when cadbury made bars of dairy milk with eight squares of strawberry cream filling. The nearest I have ever found to replicate the taste is a strawberry flavoured roses chocolate.

They also made a lime version which was only available in Ireland and a shop in Parr Bold near St Helens used to have it in stock occasionally.

We had an ancient thread here on the org with childhood sweetie memories. Maybe someone will revive it Mrs Sweetie.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Tilly Teckel Guest

Mint Toffoes! Cannot find them anywhere - please help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Sweetie View Post
    Gronnuck, we have cola cubes all the time! There are some in that list too - Dark West African Cola Kubes.

Changilass, we have Lucky Tatties too. Peedie ones. You'll be very welcome if you do pop in.

We are always happy to try and source sweeties if you've taken a notion for something that we don't have in stock.
    I'll be in later in the week to spoil myself!
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    Can you describe the strawberry dream bars please?

My favourite all time ever sweetie was when cadbury made bars of dairy milk with eight squares of strawberry cream filling. The nearest I have ever found to replicate the taste is a strawberry flavoured roses chocolate.

They also made a lime version which was only available in Ireland and a shop in Parr Bold near St Helens used to have it in stock occasionally.
    You're reminding me a bit of the Frys Five Centres. Lime was my favourite in those. Without opening a strawberry dream, I can say that it doesn't have a soft fondant centre like you are describing. The bar is quite hard so I would imagine it to have a similar consistency to tablet. It is chocolate coated, as are all the bars except the fudge, tablet and macaroon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly Teckel View Post
    Mint Toffoes! Cannot find them anywhere - please help!!
    I would love to help but they are no longer made. There aren't that many minty toffees to be had. I can get assorted toffees which include the odd mint one or mint toffee eclairs if either of those are any use to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    I'll be in later in the week to spoil myself!
    Good! Look forward to seeing you. If it's Friday onwards, in the evening I'll be working so do say Hi!
    ~*~ Gill ~*~

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Just got lucky tatties from a wee shop in Mastrick, .
    What are they? - I've never heard of them!

i pinched mine so it did not matter wat sweets i had

Quote Originally Posted by linnie612 View Post
    What are they? - I've never heard of them!
    Flat sweeties a bit smaller than a 2p, flavoured with cinnamon and coated with cinnamon powder. You used to be able to get large ones which contained a little toy, hence the name "Lucky" Tatties.
    ~*~ Gill ~*~