Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Biggest Debate in Gaming.

For the price of a gaming PC you could get PS3, XBOX, Vita and Wii. But the main problem with a PC is the constant upgrade of hardware, yeah it might ONLY be £100 - £200 a year for a new card but thats alot of money when looked at over the lifespan of either the PS3 or XBOX.

xbox cause its cheaper...............

i think i have amazing news for everybody. steam might be linking up with alienware to put together a pc based console that will come with really high specs. and its meant to be cheap because the high bulk of orders. probably around £400. but i think it will open up ames for alot of people and maybe even world of warcraft. if you want more information tis called "STEAM BOX" and i think valve had got something to do with it also... :S
    Video games ruined my life... Luckily I have 2 lives left!

RROD - YLOD Ring any bells with the console lovers consoles don't last, they need fixed every couple of years if well used.....

FORZA - Xbox - if it was on the PC i would forget about the xbox
    COD - FIFA - PS3
    ARMA - Battlefield and a few others on the PC

I wonder how much additional ££ people here spend on DLC content for their console games ??? just a rip off

PC wins for me everytime for me.
    STAY IN TUNE

Quote Originally Posted by M R View Post
    RROD - YLOD Ring any bells with the console lovers consoles don't last, they need fixed every couple of years if well used.....

FORZA - Xbox - if it was on the PC i would forget about the xbox
    COD - FIFA - PS3
    ARMA - Battlefield and a few others on the PC

I wonder how much additional ££ people here spend on DLC content for their console games ??? just a rip off

PC wins for me everytime for me.
    Come next year thats going to be thing of the past the rumour is the next ps4 and xbox are both considiring dropping the rom and traditional hard drive and thats what cause all the heat and problems .
    I used to be a pc gamer i and about 1 year later the cpu or motherboard goes faulty if ure a hard user.
    But these days its all about online gaming and if all ure mates are on xbox or ps3 its not much fun if u have pc i think thats the deciding factor in everthing

A new xbox and ps is long overdue I think.

I don't agree with the online gaming argument, almost every game released these days is an online game whatever the format.

I think sometimes multiplayer is kludged onto a game to its detriment.

The problem with not having hard drives is that there's nothing out there with comparable data transfer rates which would slow down loading times even more and from what I understand they're already pretty bad on consoles as it is. Add to that, that not having local storage would remove lots of functionality, downloading games, patches, expansions etc. I think moving to an SSD Hard Drive might help with some heat problems though they have their own issues. Also keeping your console clean and well ventilated will help. Lots of people who treat their cars with kid gloves will think nothing about abusing technology and then complain when it doesn't work.

My last laptop was a Dell XPS, I lugged that thing around to various countries, it got knocked around, had water spilt on it etc and it lasted me for about 7 years with no need to replace any hardware it was in near pristine condition, eventually it died in that massive power surge Wick had. Yet I've had to replace screens and keyboards on laptops that are barely 6 months old. That just shows you how badly they must treat them.

On a side note most PC - desktop - hardware is designed now with constant use for 5 years in mind, that means CPU, GPU etc running continuously at top speed, never slowing down for those 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    I used to be a pc gamer i and about 1 year later the cpu or motherboard goes faulty if ure a hard user.
    But these days its all about online gaming and if all ure mates are on xbox or ps3 its not much fun if u have pc i think thats the deciding factor in everthing
    Sounds like you were unlucky, your more likely to have a PSU or GPU failure than the motherboard or CPU packing in, and if it packs in within a year then I would RMA it and getting replacement or a refund. Expect 3 to 5 years on Mobo's and CPU's.............but at the end of the day, every component in a PC is a consumable, that's just the way it is, but look after them and keep them cool and clean, they will last a long time.

Totally agree with your comment about your mates on consoles, thats pretty much the only reason i still have consoles............
    STAY IN TUNE

The only thing that winds me up about ps3 and xbox why didnt think make the keyboard and mouse compatible with them for all the games to try and convert more pc gamers

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    The only thing that winds me up about ps3 and xbox why didnt think make the keyboard and mouse compatible with them for all the games to try and convert more pc gamers
    Sort of related: I actually use an application called Xpadder so I can use a gaming pad with games I think play better with one but don't have any support built into them or where I feel the built in support isn't as good.

Default All have their place

From personal experience over the years, I've found that strategy games have always been the PCs strong point. Consoles have never really gained a strong hold on strategy games, this is not because of the lack of resources, It has been simply down to lack of a mouse! (Halo wars was a good example of this, if the theme had been something else other than Halo it would probably not have been popular)

Yes Xbox hardware is a good bit behind a carefully constructed PC gamer's system but the Xbox only has to run a simple O/S designed for only a handful of tasks versus a PC windows O/S that has to be flexible enough to do almost anything with the right software a bolt-ons.

The major pitfall of the games console is the inability to CHOOSE what you prefer. With the PC you can use WASD and mouse aiming, a control pad or joystick. The PC also provides modding which consoles can't do. Just look at the GTA san andreas PC community, very few just put the disc in a PLAY they are in the system files tweaking or designing new graphics, it's the same with the fallout franchise.

While I'm on this topic Xbox is a microsoft product, it SHOULD have the "flexibility" allowed by the PC........ yet....... I can't upgrade my 360???? Can't put larger than a 320GB HDD in???????? What do you mean it HAS to be a Western Digital drive?????? If I WANT to put a Hitachi 2TB in my Xbox I should be ABLE to!!!!

At least you can plug a keyboard in, that's something at least.

From what I can gather in the markets is that all hardware powered by windows is gradually heading toward standardisation, Windows 8, Xbox O/S, windows mobile have started to look similar. Does this mean that products will be cross compatible? I think so, it has already started with Xbox "achievements" already be awarded to PC gamers and windows mobile users for certain titles.

If Xbox would like to be top dog (no contest next time) or PS3 (I'm not saying the console is better but I do prefer the 360 personally) users need to be able to personalise things better. The modders spirit (as it were) needs to move to console. Yes it's easier to just put the disc in and "it works" with a console but I think some nice simple upgrades would be nice. Upgrade the disc size with out HDD cracking would be nice >:-(, maybe it would be nice to add a blu ray disc! (had xbox used a laptop drive and then released a driver through xbox live update it would have been far simpler) Perhaps standard laptop CPUs could have been used to give it upgrade potential.

Why consoles are mod-free areas is a head-scratcher for me. Regardless of this I still cannot do without a console AND a PC (I'm resisting having an iMac because of it's inflexibility but we do hardware repairs on them so it would be nice to have a play) Forza 4 is holding my attention on the Xbox and Simcity 4 is STILL what I use the PC for mostly. I have been a part of the Simcity devotion forum for a couple of years now. I'm awaiting Simcity 5 next year, the glassbox engine looks very impressive but doubt a console could cut the grade for a game like that.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Lol, it seems that on this forum there are a lot of PC dudez, what can I say ... I'm one of them too

I can't say I've ever really enjoyed PC gaming. I've always been a console nut from day 1. Master Systems, NES', Mega Drives, N64's you name it, I've had them.
    I find console gaming a lot more enjoyable, especially multi-player with friends round.

PS3 for me hands down. I believe someone said earlier in the thread the PS3 was nearly 8 years old? It was released in the UK in March 2007, making it not even 6 yet. Plus they did say they were aiming for a 10-year lifespan.
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

Strangely enough I have started to play pc gaming and i have to say it is very different i find myself preferring to play bioshock infinite on the pc rather then my console. but i dunno.
    Video games ruined my life... Luckily I have 2 lives left!

I have limited gametime and tend to just play halo 4, when i had a ps2 it was doom. After that died i built a pc and my fav game was unreal tournament 04 which was free multiplayer free patches ect then the power pack went and it fried the mb so its just the 360 for me now.

the one big advantage of pc gaming.. not so many numpty kids, it drives me nuts tbh when you have some plonkers deliberately wrecking your gameplay and cod is no different.

PC is superior than console. You have much collection of games as compared to console.

PC all the way. Most people have a PC anyway so instead of buying a console why not use that money to slap a massive graphics card and some fast RAM into the family PC to get it to run batter than a console? You can buy pre-built gaming PC's online for the same money as a console now and they are still far ahead of either X box or Playstation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12