Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: The Biggest Debate in Gaming.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I would say have both the would be ideal the quality of games is much and such between the 2 just xbox have some games that are xbox only like halo and ps3 has games that are ps3 only.
    And also xbox has kinnect far superior to ps move which is crap were as the ps3 has blu ray drive were xbox doesnt thats another 2 reason to have both.

I've never like console gaming as the graphics are sooo far behind and the cost of buying games far outweighs upgrading.

Plus look at the spec on the 360 (for example), you could build a far superior PC for pretty much the same money (or at least you could if you could find old enough parts)

I'm a PC gamer, I've tried all the consoles and while they're okay and there's the odd good game that's console only they really don't compare to the PC. One thing I do find annoying is the dumbing down of PC games (simple interface, lower quality graphics, smaller levels or explorable areas, simpler game mechanics) to appeal to console players.

Sorry Niall but not everbody likes PCS, you may very well be right in what your saying but some people simply prefer consoles like myself, I have found more times than I care to count that when a game is released the pc version always seems to have the worst reviews, my pc is probably capable of supporting better graphics than my console but i use it for hd videos & music more than anything

Also Niall how can you complain about console graphics, Killzone 2 & 3, Gears Of Wars, Heavenly Sword & Assassins Creeds are among some of the best graphics I have seen

I'm not going to suggest that the graphics on consoles are rubbish, far from it, for the time they were amazing.

I'm just saying that a few years down the line they are now at the limit of what can be output from these old machines.

Here's a quick comparison with the equivalent Xbox gpu and an old card of mine:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=557&card2=358

I
    t cost me around £100 at the time (about the saving on buying 5 games)

I'm using something a little faster now:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=604&card2=358

A
    gain, around the £100 pound mark.

So in around 4 years I've spent about £200 on graphics cards, money which I've easily saved on the cost of the games I've bought. I can still play all my old games (albeit with much improved graphics)

I'm pretty sure that the next generation of consoles will far out perform my current setup but the chances are I'll only have to shell out another £100 to match the latest and greatest console. I'll still be saving around £20 per game and will soon save my money.

Other benefits of the PC are if anything breaks you can replace it for less than the cost of a new console.

I don't even care about graphics that much I prefer gameplay and play a lot of older games. Even I can see how bad the graphics are on consoles. With console gaming and the multi-platform aspect of most modern games now I can up them to high or ultra graphics settings without even having to think about it and it's still not taxing the GPU. Lots of the time I've installed custom textures or graphics mods to try and improve it. In cases where ultra actually does tax the GPU then the console version is usually hard coded to medium or lower.

There are a ton of YouTube videos comparing this just do a search for 'PC vs console graphics' actually because consoles are holding back graphics and other things with their hardware most PC gamers find they don't need to upgrade as often,

Even ignoring the graphic aspects (I wish more games developers did and focused on other things) I still think the PC has more advantages for gaming. My main problem is with the dumbing down of PC gaming to appeal to console players.

I agree on gameplay, I mostly play QuakeLive and have pretty much all the textures and effects turned off. All the character models are forced to be the same and it plays at a million miles an hour with a rock steady 125 fps.

I did some googling and found a page with screenshot comparisons between xbox and pc (i'd imagine ps3 is much the same):

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...c-comparison/1