Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: The Biggest Debate in Gaming.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixtwin2 View Post
    although im still with console, the reason being some games dont support controller and your stuch with a keyboard and mouse. the other point is that the xbox 360 and the ps3 are coming on around about 8 years old and they are still quite good graphics even in comparison to the modern updated PC.

the only flaw i have with the xbox is its lack of a browser but even if it did i would use my laptop 9/10 times i think the ps3 controller is too small but it does have blue ray player although the xbox has downloadable high definition movies but its not the same as putting a cd in because you have to download the movies...

i do think tho that once the xbox 450/720 etc... and the ps4 come out it will out match almost every computer system out there (besides really high end spec.)

the other issues i have is the pc gets out dated so fast. the i could have spent £300 for an xbox and had it for 8 years.
    I use an Xbox 360 controller for games that I think play better with them, it works out of the box. If that particular game or PC version of it doesn't support controllers then I use a utility called Xpadder to create that support.

The thing is, a console is outdated from the point it was manufactured yes there are revisions and variations in different models but for the most part it's the same hardware from the point it was built. And as most games have to play on both platforms then anything a console runs, a PC or similar or higher specs regard of when it was made and when it starts not to what a lot of PC gamers do is slowly lower the graphics sliders. You can build a good gaming system for £300-£700. That'll last at least 5 years, more if you do the occasional upgrade. Most PC builders are very concerned about price http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc is proof of that. There's a small minority that are concerned with always being on the bleeding edge but they usually have entirely too much money and buy overpriced crap anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by octane View Post
    ...BTW how many can remember those titles.......retro days !!
    I play a lot of retro games I buy some of them from Good Old Games or a lot of them are considered Abandonware. ScummVM has a lot of free Lucas Arts adventure games also. There are even some people (One, Two, Three) that review older games, it's pretty fun to watch.
    Last edited by RecQuery; 23-Feb-12 at 21:22. Reason: Typos

#!

if you cover the corners saying the xbox or pc you wouldnt know which one is better graphics most of the time.
    Video games ruined my life... Luckily I have 2 lives left!

Not wrong about the graphics there phoenixtwin2, however most games these days seem to be written for the consoles first and then ported to the PC and so the graphics will never be much different. Its probably why my machine is still able to crank out at least medium settings on almost all games out today.

If you look at games written for PC first and then ported back to console you can see a huge difference. DiRT 3 is a good example, written to run on triple header graphics cards out-of-the-box and then seriously clawed back to run on today's consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery
    There's a small minority that are concern with always being on the bleeding edge but they usually have entirely too much money and buy overpriced crap anyway.
    Oh yes, wouldn't we all love to be able to afford a couple of HD 7970s or GTX 590s and the beast PC required to support them.

I don't think you'll ever see games like World of Warcraft on a console as the players would never put up with the frame rate drop during busy times. Say what you like about console games but I'll give them that, the frame rate is pretty stable on everything I've ever seen played. However the difference between fishing off the pier at Shadowprey Village at sunset and a "quick" visit to the auction house in Orgrimmarr on a Saturday afternoon is literally night and day Plus the fact that my WoW install is around 30gigs, do consoles even have that space to play with?

For the price of a gaming PC you could get PS3, XBOX, Vita and Wii. But the main problem with a PC is the constant upgrade of hardware, yeah it might ONLY be £100 - £200 a year for a new card but thats alot of money when looked at over the lifespan of either the PS3 or XBOX.

xbox cause its cheaper...............

i think i have amazing news for everybody. steam might be linking up with alienware to put together a pc based console that will come with really high specs. and its meant to be cheap because the high bulk of orders. probably around £400. but i think it will open up ames for alot of people and maybe even world of warcraft. if you want more information tis called "STEAM BOX" and i think valve had got something to do with it also... :S

RROD - YLOD Ring any bells with the console lovers consoles don't last, they need fixed every couple of years if well used.....

FORZA - Xbox - if it was on the PC i would forget about the xbox
    COD - FIFA - PS3
    ARMA - Battlefield and a few others on the PC

I wonder how much additional ££ people here spend on DLC content for their console games ??? just a rip off

PC wins for me everytime for me.
    STAY IN TUNE

Quote Originally Posted by M R View Post
    RROD - YLOD Ring any bells with the console lovers consoles don't last, they need fixed every couple of years if well used.....

FORZA - Xbox - if it was on the PC i would forget about the xbox
    COD - FIFA - PS3
    ARMA - Battlefield and a few others on the PC

I wonder how much additional ££ people here spend on DLC content for their console games ??? just a rip off

PC wins for me everytime for me.
    Come next year thats going to be thing of the past the rumour is the next ps4 and xbox are both considiring dropping the rom and traditional hard drive and thats what cause all the heat and problems .
    I used to be a pc gamer i and about 1 year later the cpu or motherboard goes faulty if ure a hard user.
    But these days its all about online gaming and if all ure mates are on xbox or ps3 its not much fun if u have pc i think thats the deciding factor in everthing

A new xbox and ps is long overdue I think.

I don't agree with the online gaming argument, almost every game released these days is an online game whatever the format.

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    I used to be a pc gamer i and about 1 year later the cpu or motherboard goes faulty if ure a hard user.
    But these days its all about online gaming and if all ure mates are on xbox or ps3 its not much fun if u have pc i think thats the deciding factor in everthing
    Sounds like you were unlucky, your more likely to have a PSU or GPU failure than the motherboard or CPU packing in, and if it packs in within a year then I would RMA it and getting replacement or a refund. Expect 3 to 5 years on Mobo's and CPU's.............but at the end of the day, every component in a PC is a consumable, that's just the way it is, but look after them and keep them cool and clean, they will last a long time.

Totally agree with your comment about your mates on consoles, thats pretty much the only reason i still have consoles............
    STAY IN TUNE

Lol, it seems that on this forum there are a lot of PC dudez, what can I say ... I'm one of them too

I can't say I've ever really enjoyed PC gaming. I've always been a console nut from day 1. Master Systems, NES', Mega Drives, N64's you name it, I've had them.
    I find console gaming a lot more enjoyable, especially multi-player with friends round.

PS3 for me hands down. I believe someone said earlier in the thread the PS3 was nearly 8 years old? It was released in the UK in March 2007, making it not even 6 yet. Plus they did say they were aiming for a 10-year lifespan.
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

Strangely enough I have started to play pc gaming and i have to say it is very different i find myself preferring to play bioshock infinite on the pc rather then my console. but i dunno.

I have limited gametime and tend to just play halo 4, when i had a ps2 it was doom. After that died i built a pc and my fav game was unreal tournament 04 which was free multiplayer free patches ect then the power pack went and it fried the mb so its just the 360 for me now.

the one big advantage of pc gaming.. not so many numpty kids, it drives me nuts tbh when you have some plonkers deliberately wrecking your gameplay and cod is no different.

PC is superior than console. You have much collection of games as compared to console.

PC all the way. Most people have a PC anyway so instead of buying a console why not use that money to slap a massive graphics card and some fast RAM into the family PC to get it to run batter than a console? You can buy pre-built gaming PC's online for the same money as a console now and they are still far ahead of either X box or Playstation.