Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: help winsxs folder getting too big??

Default help winsxs folder getting too big??

There is a folder called winsxs in the windows folder that is growing too big to manage. It is occupying 28GB on my 69GB C drive!

I've googled how to cut it back a bit but some say no too dangerous but others say you can. Not knowing much about this I wondered how I can claim some space left as I'm down to 5GB?

I'm using Vista and at the moment I can't see around the problem without doing a full reboot.

thanks in advance
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Don't know if you've read this page: http://boshdirect.com/blogs/tech/how-to-reduce-size-of-winsxs.html

B
    Ut it suggests that a bit can be reclaimed. However as it suggests that the folder is used to store Service Pack files in case you want to roll back your machine I'd be looking at creating a slipstream installation disk for Vista and using it to reinstall from scratch. At least you would gain all the space back until another service pack comes out.

Thanks Niall, I did get 1.5 GB back
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

You might also want to try issuing the following three commands in a similar manner:

Code:
    vsp1cln

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded /hidesp
    Try opening up Disk Cleanup and clicking the button to clean system file also.