Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: RSPB great garden bird watch this weekend

Default RSPB great garden bird watch this weekend

If we all take part maybe we can convince the RSPB that we really do get brambling, black caps and goldfinches up here.
    Here is the link http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/
    I am the Real Ducati!

I was sitting here, just thinking about taking part in the Great Garden Bird Watch. I went to make a cup of coffee and glanced out the kitchen window into our back garden to see..............................a massive sparrow-hawk perched on the bird-bath !!!!!!!

Only problem now though is that all our "normal" wee birdies have all disappeared, knowing that a predator is on patrol !!
    Last edited by Iffy; 29-Jan-12 at 11:12.

No birdies here either Iffy. Not sure whether it's due to a Sparrow Hawk which does 'visit' from time to time.

I'm going to count them on another day as we have until the 17th February to send in the results.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

We had a lot of activity first thing this morning with loads of goldfinch feeding, but by the time that I had my breakfast and settled down to do a count there was not a bird in sight.

When we went out to take the dog for a walk a cat shot out from under my trailer on the drive.
    Visit our shop at 20 Bridge street, Wick
    Tel/fax 01955 604655
    'like' us on Facebook - BironsIronmongersWick

Typical we had one of the quietest days of late at the feeders, always seem to happen when we do a count!
    Managed only 6 species.

No birdies at all for the past few days. I miss them so much! The garden seems 'dead' without them.

Please come back! I've got lovely suet balls filled with goodies, sunflower hearts, peanuts and seed mix waiting to be eaten.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Strangely enough, I got my first brambling ever yesterday, in amongst the chaffies in the garden. My count was way better than last year, but like everyone else, the stars of the show seamed to keep well away for the hour I was counting, so nothing exciting in Halkirk :-(
    WeeBurd.

The results are in, and according to the RSPB website, just 20 households took part in the Highland region!!! Am I overlooking something? http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/BGBW20...cm9-310299.xls Very disappointing folks!

[QUOTE=therealducati;924188]If we all take part maybe we can convince the RSPB that we really do get brambling, black caps and goldfinches up here.

Hi TheRealDucati, why do you say the RSPB needs convincing of this?

Yup - you are missing something! It is not 20 households but the 20 bird species most seen that day. Each county/area only has 20 birds listed. Thanks for the interesting link!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballymore View Post
    Yup - you are missing something! It is not 20 households but the 20 bird species most seen that day. Each county/area only has 20 birds listed. Thanks for the interesting link!
    Ah, I thought it would be me overlooking something! Thank you. Song Thrush on nest in my grden today, which surprised me, because I'd heard one inging on just a handful of occasions in the past month!

|I never saw a bird today...the cat was on the birdtable...and the weather wasnt in it ..so we are going to cheat and do it tommorrow when more is around hopefully as the weather is supposed to be better!