Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Techy imput

Default Techy imput

I found this site, and would like some feed back on it please. I don't understand all of the tests available, but do understand the speed test. What are the others for, and how does this site stack up.

http://www.measurementlab.net/measur...ab-tools#tool2
    Last edited by shazzap; 25-Jan-12 at 14:12. Reason: Forgot to put link in.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by shazzap View Post
    I found this site, and would like some feed back on it please. I don't understand all of the tests available, but do understand the speed test. What are the others for, and how does this site stack up.

http://www.measurementlab.net/measur...ab-tools#tool2
    Most of the tests are hosted else where, this site just links to them. I've heard of them all though so I'd say they stack up pretty well. This is a bit glib but:

• NDT - you already know about this one, basically a glorified speed test.
    • Glasnost - Essentially a QoS/traffic shaping test. To see if your ISP gives priority to, or cripples certain traffic. So as a very basic example giving websites and e-mail the full 8mbps connection and giving Skype only 2mbps of the connection.
    • NPAD (Network Path & Application Diagnostics) - Tests for problems on your computer between your router and the local exchange/distribution node that may be causing speed problems.
    • Pathload2 - Another speed test, but it also seems to do some stuff related to the MTU and packet fragmentation which you don't need to care about.
    • ShaperProbe - Like Glasnost, it's another traffic shaping/QoS test.
    • WindRider - Kind of like Glasnost and ShaperProbe for mobile phones. A bit different in that this one will also see if your ISP is giving priority to certain websites or content providers. Giving better speed to BBC iPlayer but a lower priority for 4oD or giving youtube.com better performance but lower performance to dailymotion.com
    • BISmark - Another general speed test, this one has it's results uploaded to a database. They will also give you a router to connect to your network.
    • Neubot - Essentially a continuous low level test that runs periodically to test speed and for traffic shaping/QoS. The advantage being to see if time-of-day with influence speed.
    Last edited by RecQuery; 26-Jan-12 at 20:10.

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    Most of the tests are hosted else where, this site just links to them. I've heard of them all though so I'd say they stack up pretty well. This is a bit glib but:
    • NDT - you already know about this one, basically a glorified speed test.
    • Glasnost - Essentially a QoS/traffic shaping test. To see if your ISP gives priority to, or cripples certain traffic. So as a very basic example giving websites and e-mail the full 8mbps connection and giving Skype only 2mbps of the connection.
    • NPAD (Network Path & Application Diagnostics) - Tests for problems on your computer between your router and the local exchange/distribution node that may be causing speed problems.
    • Pathload2 - Another speed test, but it also seems to do some stuff related to the MTU and packet fragmentation which you don't need to care about.
    • ShaperProbe - Like Glasnost, it's another traffic shaping/QoS test.
    • WindRider - Kind of like Glasnost and ShaperProbe for mobile phones. A bit different in that this one will also see if your ISP is giving priority to certain websites or content providers. Giving better speed to BBC iPlayer but a lower priority for 4oD or giving youtube.com better performance but lower performance to dailymotion.com
    • BISmark - Another general speed test, this one has it's results uploaded to a database. They will also give you a router to connect to your network.
    • Neubot - Essentially a continue low level test that runs periodically to test speed and for traffic shaping/QoS. The advantage being to see if time-of-day with influence speed.
    Thank you. I was going to use one of the tests, can't remember which one. But it asked for permissions, or my laptop did?? Are these tests, on this site, safe to use.

Quote Originally Posted by shazzap View Post
    Thank you. I was going to use one of the tests, can't remember which one. But it asked for permissions, or my laptop did?? Are these tests, on this site, safe to use.
    I've used a few of them in the past and I'd say that yes they are okay. I suspect they wanted to install browser addons or run as admin to do some advanced TCP configuration.
    Last edited by RecQuery; 26-Jan-12 at 20:10.

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    I've used a few of them in the past and I'd say that yes they are okay. I suspect they wanted to install browser addons or run as admin to some advanced TCP configuration.
    Thank you.