Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: New Imac User needs Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Imac User needs Help

Afternoon All..
    I recently purchased an imac (only ever used pc before) and would appreciate some valued help and advice should there be any imac users out there..

Thank You

Did you try the iMac before buying it?

Is there a specific reason you bought one over a PC?

You may want to be a bit more specific in what it is you're looking for. I could tell you how to switch it on, load the internet and navigate to meatspin (but I doubt ANYONE would want that)

Quote Originally Posted by *Martin* View Post
    Did you try the iMac before buying it?

Is there a specific reason you bought one over a PC?

You may want to be a bit more specific in what it is you're looking for. I could tell you how to switch it on, load the internet and navigate to meatspin (but I doubt ANYONE would want that)
    No need to spin him around with technical terms now.

With stuff like this, just ask. Don't ask if you can ask, just ask.

I would say just sell the Imac and buy a good PC. My Son just bougt a 8 Core X 2,8 GHZ with 16GB Ram, 1 GB Graphics Card, 1 TB HD PC for £325. Much better than any IMac.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

No i didn't try one before buying one, have recently got a ipad and think its great, as my pc needed replacing urgently and reading lots of reviews about the imac i thought it would be better and more trouble free.... i'm not sure how to transfer my files over...

Quote Originally Posted by greentrees View Post
    .... i'm not sure how to transfer my files over...
    I've had Macs for years and echo what JL says - they are far more reliable and robust than pcs.

If its only file transfers that you need to do then as Martin suggests a USB HDD would be ideal. The Mac will immediately recognise the HDD and files.

If thats too small for your needs, or you dont want to buy one, then its relatively easy to set up the Mac as a server on the pc either through a hub or an RJ45 switcher cable. Depends what Mac OS you are running. See http://guides.macrumors.com/Networki..._with_Mac_OS_X

Good luck.
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Hello newby. & 'welcome' to the fold. Apple are well aware of the problems that ex Windows user have when they first encounter the Mac.
    So I would add to the sound HDD advice so far a good read of the information available on the Apple website http://www.apple.com/uk/support/
    To avoid (most) annoying comments about your use of a Mac try using the forums on the Apple support page or (usually a bit more fun) the forums on 'Mac Rumours' http://forums.macrumors.com/
    New mac users are welcomed on both with open arms.
    Happy to help on PM if really desperate. ;-)

Could you post a link to where your son got that deal?

I wasn't saying don't get an iMac, I'm just curious as to why someone would get one over a PC especially without trying one.

Greentrees I'm assuming you wish to transfer pics and music? Can you not just borrow a USB HDD and copy and paste?

-----------------------------
    Rec, once again I'm forced to spread the love around before repping you some more!

I've got IMAC - and it's great.

Welcome to the world of computers that work.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by *Martin* View Post
    I'm just curious as to why someone would get one over a PC especially without trying one.
    They are so beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by greentrees View Post
    Afternoon All..
    I recently purchased an imac (only ever used pc before) and would appreciate some valued help and advice should there be any imac users out there..

Thank You
    Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like about Macs and OS X. Many of us can answer the simpler ones, and RecQuery can answer the geeky ones.

Don't be put off by RecQuery's geeky post. He really knows what he's talking about, and he can also keep it simple for the non-geeks.

Geeky postscript....

I wouldn't say "BSD itself is based on Unix" - unless you take the fundamentalist view that "Unix" is what came out of AT&T in the 1970s, and everything that everyone else did was "based" on that.

Geeky tangent....

The NeXT Computer "cube" was a cool machine.

Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 21-Jan-12 at 14:29. Reason: minor fixes