New legislation on the way for public events from April 1

Highland Council is advising community groups, businesses, charities and anyone requiring a public entertainment licence that legislation changes come in to place from April 1st 2012.
Currently, under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982, a licence is only required where the public pay either to take part or to watch the entertainment. However, from the 1st April the `payment’ section is being removed which will mean that some events which do not charge will require a public entertainment licence.
Chairman of The Highland Council’s Licensing Committee, Councillor Peter Corbett said: “Throughout the Highlands a wide range of events and activities take place each year and we don’t want people to fall foul of the new legislation. Changes mean that even if no charge is being made for people to attend, a Public Entertainment Licence will be required. I would urge anyone planning to organise an event in 2012 to ensure they have all the necessary paperwork.”
Only those activities which the Council have resolved to licence are affected. These include:

• billiard, snooker and pool halls;
• premises used for exhibitions;
• premises used for fireworks displays;
• premises used for health and fitness activities, including gymnasia and saunas;
• premises used for laser displays and war games;
• premises used for agricultural shows;
• premises used for Highland Games;
• premises used for Go-Karting;
• premises used for bungee-jumping and bungee-running;
• premises used for bouncy castles or similar structures;
• discos and dances;
• musical performances;
• lectures and illustrated talks;
• concerts;
• circuses;
• fairgrounds;
• travelling shows;
• travelling funfairs;
• Sun Tanning premises.

Anyone requiring further information about the changes to the legislation or who would like a Public Entertainment Licence application pack should contact their local council office on the following telephone numbers –
Caithness - (01955) 607790
Inverness – (01463) 724298
Lochaber – (01397) 707233
Nairn and Badenoch & Strathspey - (01667) 458516
Ross-Shire – (01349) 868493
Skye & Lochalsh - (01478) 613824
Sutherland - (01955) 607705
Details can also be downloaded from the council’s website –
In This Section