Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Sutherland Bros..and The Poles!

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    now tell me this..
    are you saying just the polish should not be given jobs.. or is it a case of all immigrants?
    hmm should i not be able to work here because i am an american?
    because i married and came here?
    lets see.. i could be really nasty and say a load of "YOUR KIND"
    has gone to the united states of america.. looking for work and better lives.
    maybe the US should kick out all the scots and brits that have moved there.. oh yeah and maybe canada and austraila should do the same.. as YOU SCOTS are taking jobs away from.. would be could be hard working locals..
    now after saying that..
    aheemmm, variety is the spice of life.
    and dont start typing furiously guys.. i do not belive any of the things i have just typed.
    just using it as an example of biggotry.. ect.. ect...
    dosent sound as nice when the shoe is on the other foot.
    if someone is qualified for a job. and is a responsible hard worker.. then good for them.
    *grins*
    That made me laugh brandy, the u.s was pioneered by british and european citizens, it's the most cosmopolitan country on earth.
    The problem in britain as a whole is the amount of eastern europeans that have flooded into the country in their thousands over a very, very short period of time.
    Too many too soon and that can't be right no matter how you try to explain it.
    Last edited by pultneytooner; 30-Oct-06 at 20:54.

Quote Originally Posted by midi2304 View Post
    Are you not listening to a word that is said! Of course I care!

The situation in Caithness is either one of the following;

1) Everything was done legitimately and the Poles were just considered 'better' than the locals who applied for the positions.

2) The local buisnessmen are corrupt and they went for the cheap as possible option and employed the Poles.

Either way, it's not great is it? No wonder you're now working in London and I'm in Aberdeen.
    TRUE..very true!

I think people look at the Poles / Eastern Europeans as some kind of scapegoat for a lot of the unemployment problems Scotland has when really we need to have a good long hard look at ourselves.

To go back to my point at the very start of the thread, the majority of these Poles are not bad people. They are not rubbing there hands in glee at the joy of stealing Scottish jobs. They are just trying to make there lives that bit better. If we facilitate this due to either being lazy and / or being corrupt, why should we take this out on them?

Quote Originally Posted by midi2304 View Post
    I think people look at the Poles / Eastern Europeans as some kind of scapegoat for a lot of the unemployment problems Scotland has when really we need to have a good long hard look at ourselves.

To go back to my point at the very start of the thread, the majority of these Poles are not bad people. They are not running there hands at the joy of stealing Scottish jobs. They are just trying to make there lives that bit better. If we facilitate this due to either birng lazy or being corrupt, why should we take this out on them?
    If this is not a problem then how come the government are planning on restricting the levels of bulgarians and romanians coming to britain?
    Maybe they have learned a lesson.

Reverse psycology!And my point was,i want people from wick to have these jobs!,not eastern europeans.You prolly did an apprenticeship at dounreay,wick has no such large employers,and most wick unemployed couldnt even afford the bus fare to aberdeen to look for a job.Wickers aint lazy,but its the "if your face fits syndrome",most wick employers would employ a pole if he was a university grad,looking for a shelf stacking job!.But what about the wickers that have been loyal to this company for over 100 years?....arent they owed something?...help your own first,charity begins at home,and poles were born in poland.

Quote Originally Posted by pultneytooner View Post
    If this is not a problem then how come the government are planning on restricting the levels of bulgarians and romanians coming to britain?
    Maybe they have learned a lesson.
    Again side-stepping the argument. You doing an eightsome reel the Pultneytooner? See you stuck in Wick long enough - what with you now living in Golspie.

As to your point, would this be the same Government that allowed the EU regulations allowing all these foreign workforces to come and fight for our jobs in the first place? Sounds like a case of trying to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted.

And I make the point AGAIN - is any of this the fault of the Polish / Romainians / Bulgarians then?

Brandy very well put !!!
    Lot of the fishing boats on the south side of the Moray Firth have east Europeans as crew They cant get locals to go to sea!! the hospital in Wick has Poles in the cleaning staff when they can hardly get locals to stay in the job As for keeping jobs for "Brits" in England well a wee revision of social history is required Why were so many folks from the Old Commonwealth working in England in the health services and in transport ??? Why were so many Irish folks working on the railways and motorway contruction?? Answer the jobs were low paid had unsocial hours and basically the folks down there did not want to do them !!
    ps I think Im a mongrel Viking/Pict who from experience is very wary when someone calls me a "Brit" it usually means they want something
    Last edited by peter macdonald; 30-Oct-06 at 21:18. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
    Reverse psycology!And my point was,i want people from wick to have these jobs!,not eastern europeans.You prolly did an apprenticeship at dounreay,wick has no such large employers,and most wick unemployed couldnt even afford the bus fare to aberdeen to look for a job.Wickers aint lazy,but its the "if your face fits syndrome",most wick employers would employ a pole if he was a university grad,looking for a shelf stacking job!.But what about the wickers that have been loyal to this company for over 100 years?....arent they owed something?...help your own first,charity begins at home,and poles were born in poland.
    Try telling that to the born and bred Caithnessians who run Wick Creels, Sutherland Bros, etc. I want Wickers to have Wick jobs too. And I didn't do a Dounreay apprenticeship. I left high school and joined Britannia Royal Naval College where I trained to be a Royal Naval Warfare Officer before joining the submarine flotilla.

unicorn Guest

I think the difference is that people from these countries are actually WILLING to work, how many times have any of us heard unemployed people say i'm not working in norfrost, chip shop. cleaning, cafe's etc as they see these jobs as beneath them. I would rather have a willing happy worker earn there wage than a moaner who see's the job as beneath them and would rather be paid to stay in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post
    Brandy very well put !!!
    Lot of the fishing boats on the south side of the Moray Firth have east Europeans as crew They cant get locals to go to sea!! the hospital in Wick has Poles in the cleaning staff when they can hardly get locals to stay in the job As for keeping jobs for "Brits" in England well a wee revision of social history is required Why were so many folks from the Old Commonwealth working in England in the health services and in transport ??? Why were so many Irish folks working on the railways and motorway contruction?? Answer the jobs were low paid had unsocial hours and basically the folks down there did not want to do them !!
    They cant get locals to go to sea because it wasnt worth their while, the trips were getting longer & longer, the expenses of running the boats are enormous, the wages didnt rise-they dropped. There sre 2 local boats that have eastern europeans aboard them ,& the owners pay them a set wage every month regardless of how much the boat grosses. Its a good thing & a bad thing, a no lose for the owner though , quite right, if theyre willing
    to work for poor wages crack on.

oh .. and heres a word you may not have heard before in your ramblings.. *weg* its called discrimination..
    just wondering how you would feel if down in england town you went for a job.. and they said no sorry we are looking for an english man.. not a dirty scot.. your all a bunch of rabble.. drunkards.. and uneducated ijits. (not really making a point again)
    you would be frothing at the mouth i bet..
    oh and yup.. i know in the get go.. america was all about immigration.. as that is how the country was populated.. *laughs* but im talking recent history..
    as in the here and now.
    now lets see.. if i can work.. while preg.. with diabetes.. with two toddlers working around my husbands work.
    then why cant anyone else.. these poor scots who can not get jobs..
    there are jobs going.. i see signs up all over the place. i can name several places right now that are hiring..
    oh wait thats min. wage.. so not good enough for a lot.. oopps.. some immigrant will get it. and someone can complain!
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pultneytooner View Post
    What about the unemployment rate in caithness as a whole when there are plenty of jobs in caithness, i.e, sutherland bros, norfrost and wick creel factory to name a few, that have been given to eastern europeans< Snip .>
    What you and others fail to address however, is whether any of the unemployed of Wick applied for these jobs. As you say the jobs are there (if you go to the job centre in wick and use one of the computers it will show that there are dozens of jobs going in caithness) however many Scottish/British/English people are unwilling to take these jobs. Unlike the "foreigners" who are more than willing to accept them, one to fufil there visa requirements and two because we all need money be we black, white, yellow, Scottish, German, Polish or Romanian. The jobs are there if people want them. As a nation we need to evaluate ad consider our attitudes to working life and the way we support "our own" and those who immigrate here. In my view simply saying that we should be giving jobs to the home grown first is not conductive to a progressive Scotland.

Callum Macleod
    arcor

Quote Originally Posted by macleod_callum View Post
    What you and others fail to address however, is whether any of the unemployed of Wick applied for these jobs. As you say the jobs are there (if you go to the job centre in wick and use one of the computers it will show that there are dozens of jobs going in caithness) however many Scottish/British/English people are unwilling to take these jobs. Unlike the "foreigners" who are more than willing to accept them, one to fufil there visa requirements and two because we all need money be we black, white, yellow, Scottish, German, Polish or Romanian. The jobs are there if people want them. As a nation we need to evaluate ad consider our attitudes to working life and the way we support "our own" and those who immigrate here. In my view simply saying that we should be giving jobs to the home grown first is not conductive to a progressive Scotland.

Callum Macleod
    As far as I know the companies mentioned had at one time a full compliment of local staff, so unless locals suddenly stopped applying for these jobs, there is something far wrong?

I have been told in the past that when some jobs have been advertised the prospective employers have recieved not one application from a native of the county. If you advertise a job and it is only polish people who apply then I think you are bound to employ a pole for the job.
    Maybe if some of the long term unemployed in the area got up off of there lazy backsides and applied for jobs they might actually get one. And as someone else mentioned the job goes to the person that has the best interview/employment record regardless of nationality sex or colour. MAybe some folk only apply for a job now and then to make sure that they appear to be looking for work so that they do not get a cut in benefits.

Just to clarify.....

Sutherland Brothers Ltd are an equal opportunities employer and dont discriminate on any grounds (age, sex, religion, race or ethnic origin etc)

Individuals are employed purely on their ability and suitability for the particular position.

All staff who are employed at Sutherland Brothers are treated equally and fairly.

We still have current vacancies for order pickers and welcome CV's from any interested individuals.

Bear I know exactly what you mean re poor wages at the fishing However these guys are keeping the boats going No crew= no boat Its a two edged sword as you say "if theyre willing to work for poor wages crack on." totally agree with you mate

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by suthbros View Post
    Just to clarify.....

Sutherland Brothers Ltd are an equal opportunities employer and dont discriminate on any grounds (age, sex, religion, race or ethnic origin etc)

Individuals are employed purely on their ability and suitability for the particular position.

All staff who are employed at Sutherland Brothers are treated equally and fairly.

We still have current vacancies for order pickers and welcome CV's from any interested individuals.
    Ive no doubt your a decent employer,youve served caithness well,as the caithness people have served you well........

Question

I am taking no sides in this argument, but I was very interested in reading through the postings. It is very much a hot potato. One thing struck me though - if this posting had been aimed at Middle Eastern, Indian, Pakistani etc immigrants, wouldn't there have been much more talk of racism? I don't think people would have been quite so forthcoming in saying that these people shouldn't be taking up the jobs? Maybe it's just me, I don't know.
    engiebenjy

Quote Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
    Wicks a small place,most empolyers know your family,and when you last had a pint.Maybe the poles are working for less money(many in london do)?,maybe thats why they dont employ locals?
    not the case in sutherland brothers there at east paid min wage ,and time and a half ,not like where i work its straight time every hour no matter if weekends ,2 of my polish mates have just came back to icetech as they say sutherland brothers try to treat them different

Quote Originally Posted by pedromcgrory View Post
    not the case in sutherland brothers there at east paid min wage ,and time and a half ,not like where i work its straight time every hour no matter if weekends ,2 of my polish mates have just came back to icetech as they say sutherland brothers try to treat them different
    In what why ?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast