Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Sutherland Bros..and The Poles!

The problem there David is that a very, very large % of 'Pakistanis' now in the UK are actually British. It's not fair for us to consider them as a seperate race when they have been born and brought up here. They are very much our problem as a country, whether we like it or not.
    Last edited by midi2304; 01-Nov-06 at 15:30.

Im aware of that my Pakistani friend (aishsa) was born here she supports Manchester utd and England as she is mad about football but this is partly the problem - her family still expect her to be Pakistani not English and not to mix with white guys so why did they come here? One of the biggest groups for suicide in this country is young asian girls brought up here in the west but expected to stay eastern . I believe whoever you are if you are going to migrate to anywhere you should choose a country you want to fit into , if you want to come to the UK you look at us and what our customs and traditions are and if you like what you see and want to belong then go , much the same as if we want to say emigrate to say Spain we take a look learn the language and go (to support ourselves) not sponge . If you dont want your children to mix with Spanish children and maybe one day marry one dont bloody go there .
    Now im going to the gym i will be back on in a couple of hours - this is much more fun than -what are you having for tea threads!!

Quote Originally Posted by David from Stockport View Post
    Im aware of that my Pakistani friend (aishsa) was born here she supports Manchester utd and England as she is mad about football but this is partly the problem - her family still expect her to be Pakistani not English and not to mix with white guys so why did they come here? One of the biggest groups for suicide in this country is young asian girls brought up here in the west but expected to stay eastern . I believe whoever you are if you are going to migrate to anywhere you should choose a country you want to fit into , if you want to come to the UK you look at us and what our customs and traditions are and if you like what you see and want to belong then go , much the same as if we want to say emigrate to say Spain we take a look learn the language and go (to support ourselves) not sponge . If you dont want your children to mix with Spanish children and maybe one day marry one dont bloody go there .
    Now im going to the gym i will be back on in a couple of hours - this is much more fun than -what are you having for tea threads!!
    I do agree with you there. But at least it is good to see that the 1st generation Pakistanis such as your female friend are trying to break that cycle. They are trying to fit in to our way of life. You have to remember that rightly or wrongly, it is harder for older people and a lot of them didn't really move here by choice - it was there only chance to give there young families the upbringing they felt they deserved. It's not a justification for there 'you must marry a Pakistani' attitudes but old habits die hard. At least it sounds that young Asians are trying to turn the tide.

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
    What's the problem with them employing Polish workers or any other Nationality for that matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
    Charity begins at home....
    Sutherland Bros. are still advertising vacancies, scotsman.

1. Will you will be applying for one of the vacancies seeing you are a Caithnessian?

2. Have you already got a job in Caithness?

A simple Yes or No answer to each question will suffice. If you do work in Caithness I am not asking you to say where, simply if you do.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by David from Stockport View Post
    I believe whoever you are if you are going to migrate to anywhere you should choose a country you want to fit into , if you want to come to the UK you look at us and what our customs and traditions are and if you like what you see and want to belong then go , much the same as if we want to say emigrate to say Spain we take a look learn the language and go (to support ourselves) not sponge . If you dont want your children to mix with Spanish children and maybe one day marry one dont bloody go there .
    That is a fine sentiment. Of course, we Brits always take up the local customs and dress of whichever country we have gone to live in and always have done

I very much doubt I could find one single Country where there are large numbers of Brits where the locals will confirm that is the case.

When I went to The Cape and KwaZulu Natal I don't recall seeing one person of British descent who was following the local customs and dress.

I know for a fact that when my Grandfather lived in India that he would have been horrified at the thought that either he or any of his colleagues had “Gone Native”.

We Brits are famous the World over for not integrating with the local population. The nearest most ex-pats come to mixing with Johnny Foreigner is when they shout loudly and very slowly in English at them because, as every Brit knows, if you do that even the most stupid foreigner will understand you eventually.

Any foreigner who is truthful and not simple being polite will confirm this without fear of being proved wrong. The vast majority of the people in foreign countries where Brits have settled would love it if we Brits had only followed your suggestion of not having gone there.

Even those Brits who have gone to America, a Country with which we have a common language and which has most of our customs and religions, no matter that they have been there for countless generations still class themselves as Scottish Americans, Irish Americans etc. I understand there are certain areas on the East Coast of America where they still take "Tea" because they were originally of English origins Centuries ago. No doubt somebody from that side of North America will either confirm of correct that statement.

And we wag the finger at others for not integrating? Who do you think taught foreigners not to integrate and that it wasn’t necessary to adopt the local language?

"Oh for the gift some power could give us to see ourselves as others see us."
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718