Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Sutherland Bros..and The Poles!

Unhappy Sutherland Bros..and The Poles!

I know of many people in caithness who are unemployed,some have never even had a job since leaving school(quite simply because there was no jobs),yet whilst browsing through www.suthbros.co.uk i see they have 3 poles on there team!!!.I thought charity began at home,im sitting here asking myself are caithness people lazy(glass factory/norfrost/etc) all these people who worked there were thrown on the dole,and here we have a local employer employing poles before locals.(did the poles have extra long arms,is that how they got the job?.Or is it cheap labour for one of wicks major employers?.500,000 poles have flooded into the uk,many with criminal convictions,down here in london,there undercutting everyone in the building buisness/retail sector,dodgy employers are paying them half what uk norm is.Yet we havent got a problem with immigrant workers flooding our shores!!!...taking british jobs from underneath our noses,i had a nice young polish computer scientist renting me spare room for 4 months,polite,hard working,and honest(excellent hacker too).He told me poles on average earn £50-100 per week in warsaw,gordon brown tells me"poles are an asset to our industry"and they help our economy!all the money the poles make goes back to poland!.!.Charity begins at home gordon,help our own first i say.He also told me many poles shoplift,and drunken driving is the norm in poland(much worse booze problem than scotland).Immigrants take there attitudes with them into there host country,and that cant be good. www.migrationwatchuk.org scottish companies should be ashamed of themselves employing poles at the expense of the locals/scots!!,and dont tell me no wickers applied for the jobs. cheers scotsman

I used to share similar opinions to you Scotsman. Here's what I've learned since I moved to Aberdeen a few months ago from Thurso.

1) The Polish population here are generally very inteligent with the vast majority degree-level educated.
    2) They are incredibly polite and most speak better English than me.
    3) I am reliably informed that they graft for every penny they earn over here.

If Poles are winning jobs over Scots over here does that not say more about how lazy some of our unemployed are than it does about the Polish?

Point is,what about helping our own first?,i dont care how well educated they are,id rather see a wicker in a local job,than a pole!!.Im sure they do work hard,but tell that to my mate the plasterer who was getting £130 per day in building trade in london,till the poles come along and offer to work for half that. ps you didnt need to go to aberdeen for a job! sutherland bros are looking for workers...get in quick before the poles do!!!

We wouldnt need to go to Aberdeen to get a decent paid job if local employers would pay a decent rate scotsman , thats the bottom line for me

8-10 poles!..its a disgrace,hundreds of caithness people unemployed,and were helping others before we help our own.Maybe you need a degree to get a job stacking shelves?,bet they havent checked there polish work history though!.My twin lives in orkney,he too works in aberdeen(no jobs in his forte in orkney or caithness,but i wonder,would he stack shelves(if theres any jobs avail),so he could be at home with his family,or travel to aberdeen,and see his family once every 2 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
    I know of many people in caithness who are unemployed,some have never even had a job since leaving school(quite simply because there was no jobs),yet whilst browsing through www.suthbros.co.uk i see they have 3 poles on there team!!!.I thought charity began at home,im sitting here asking myself are caithness people lazy(glass factory/norfrost/etc) all these people who worked there were thrown on the dole,and here we have a local employer employing poles before locals.(did the poles have extra long arms,is that how they got the job?.Or is it cheap labour for one of wicks major employers?.500,000 poles have flooded into the uk,many with criminal convictions,down here in london,there undercutting everyone in the building buisness/retail sector,dodgy employers are paying them half what uk norm is.Yet we havent got a problem with immigrant workers flooding our shores!!!...taking british jobs from underneath our noses,i had a nice young polish computer scientist renting me spare room for 4 months,polite,hard working,and honest(excellent hacker too).He told me poles on average earn £50-100 per week in warsaw,gordon brown tells me"poles are an asset to our industry"and they help our economy!all the money the poles make goes back to poland!.!.Charity begins at home gordon,help our own first i say.He also told me many poles shoplift,and drunken driving is the norm in poland(much worse booze problem than scotland).Immigrants take there attitudes with them into there host country,and that cant be good. www.migrationwatchuk.org scottish companies should be ashamed of themselves employing poles at the expense of the locals/scots!!,and dont tell me no wickers applied for the jobs. cheers scotsman
    Try 8 - 10

Quote Originally Posted by midi2304 View Post
    I used to share similar opinions to you Scotsman. Here's what I've learned since I moved to Aberdeen a few months ago from Thurso.

1) The Polish population here are generally very inteligent with the vast majority degree-level educated.

If Poles are winning jobs over Scots over here does that not say more about how lazy some of our unemployed are than it does about the Polish?
    1. The scottish population is generally very intelligent.
    2. They can be very polite and welcoming to others
    3. You're reliably misinformed, some do some don't the same as anywhere else.

Absolute rubbish, plenty applied for these jobs and I am sure they were not lazy.

Well I'll stand up for the scots... Give some of us a chance, not all of us are as thick as the mince we make. lol Oh and for us scots being polite, well were about to find out with some responses to this post .. hehehe, ( covers my ears ) well i danna want an ear bashing..lol Oh and u seem to think we will not do the job for the money.. Rolls eyes, I aint one to pass judgment as I will tell u Now It ain't our place to. Some of our unemplyed would work harder than most working dogs in the north but they never get a chance. So lets be fair... Leave our Scots on the brew and employ people who u claim to be better . U know what .. truth, thats the way it is .. who u know not what u know. Ops and afore i forget,,, sorry to those i may have offended by this... swipes ma face gonna post it now..
    WoRdS ShOuLd Be SiMpLe An VoIcEs SoFt !!!

Frankly I just do not believe that the majority of Poles - much less a 'vast' majority in this country are educated to degree level. This would mean we have at least 301,000 University graduates here, many doing menial jobs. There are lied, damn lies, and statistics I know but this unsubstantiated claim is garbage.
    I do not blame Poles coming here, but as unemployment rises then social strife will surely follow. It might even reach Caithness eventually.

HI percy,a lot of them down here in london are indeed educated to a high level,but here in london the high paid management jobs always go to brits.Many educated poles do menial jobs,but £250 quid a week is a fortune for a pole who makes 50 quid a week in warsaw.Why dosent uk govt help uk unemployed fill the jobs in big cities like london(pay rent etc)?...

Here's what I do know for a fact. I can't speak for Sutherland Bros but I have a friend that works for First Bus down here in Aberdeen as a driver. Poles are welcome to apply for jobs the same as everyone else. They receive the same interviews and are subject to the same checks and assuming they get the job, they'll be on the same wages as a Scotsman or anyone else who applies for the job.

The Poles are consistently winning employment because most young people these days are work-shy layabouts. I know this is a generalisation but it is well known in Aberdeen as I have already stated that a Pole will earn every penny of his wages because he fears losing his job to a local and the minimum wage he earns here is a fortune in Warsaw.

This story is repeated elsewhere in Aberdeen (which, before anyone mentions it, I know has relatively low unemployment).

I think the point I'm trying to make is this - People in Scotland have a very negative view of the Polish in Scotland (as is shown by comments in this thread) and I used to too. I have been proven wrong. If they can come here and earn jobs on merit that our unemployed / youth cannot competing on an equal case as is happening in Aberdeen (I cannot say whether or not this is the case in the Sutherland Bros situation), then good luck to them. It's the kick up the backside a lot of our unemployed need.
    Last edited by midi2304; 30-Oct-06 at 19:46.

"I think the point I'm trying to make is this. People in Scotland have a very negative view of the Polish in Scotland (as is shown by comments in this thread) and I used to too. I have been proven wrong. If they can come here and earn jobs on merit that our unemployed cannot ( I cannot say whether or not this is the case in the Sutherland Bros situation), then good luck to them. It's the kick up the backside a lot of our unemployed need."
    So you would rather see a pole get a job,afore a scot? shame on you!!You know the employment situation is dire in caithness(or you wouldnt be in aberdeen),Scottish jobs for scottish people!..or am i old fashioned.

I am sure if we put ourselves in a business person's position, we would be wary to employ anyone from a group which is reknown for being less than efficient over a person from a group which has a reputation for hard work with no grummellin'.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

"I think the point I'm trying to make is this. People in Scotland have a very negative view of the Polish in Scotland (as is shown by comments in this thread) and I used to too. I have been proven wrong. If they can come here and earn jobs on merit that our unemployed cannot ( I cannot say whether or not this is the case in the Sutherland Bros situation), then good luck to them. It's the kick up the backside a lot of our unemployed need."
    So you would rather see a pole get a job,afore a scot? shame on you!!You know the employment situation is dire in caithness(or you wouldnt be in aberdeen),Scottish jobs for scottish people!..or am i old fashioned.
    All scots unemployed are unintelligent, workshy layabouts with the manners of a pig, apparently.

Rheghead so quaintly put!these poles are less than efficent arent they!!!

If a Caithnessian cannot get a job driving a bus because someone from hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away, who does not speak English as their mother tongue, is deemed more suitable, assuming they are all batting off the same playing field, the Caithnessian / Scotsman, needs to pick himself up, walk over to the mirror and take a long hard look at themselves.

It is not always the case, but I fear that a lot of unemployed people take too much for granted. Why should they be receiving benefits when they cannot even prove themselves to be more useful to the local workforce than someone from Eastern Europe?! Shame on them, methinks.

Scottish jobs for scottish people!..or am i old fashioned.
    I hope you're not taking a job away from a decent honest English person down there in London, eh?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

lol......lolllllll there aall immigrants doon here!

If a Caithnessian cannot get a job driving a bus because someone from hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away, who does not speak English as their mother tongue, is deemed more suitable, assuming they are all batting off the same playing field, the Caithnessian / Scotsman, needs to pick himself up, walk over to the mirror and take a long hard look at themselves.

It is not always the case, but I fear that a lot of unemployed people take too much for granted. Why should they be receiving benefits when they cannot even prove themselves to be more useful to the local workforce than someone from Eastern Europe?! Shame on them, methinks.
    Assuming makes an ass of you and ming.

Quote Originally Posted by pultneytooner View Post
    All scots unemployed are unintelligent, workshy layabouts with the manners of a pig, apparently.
    I think I have very cleatrly stated that that is not my opinion. What I have said, is that if Poles are getting jobs over Scots in a fair playing field, that speaks volumes about the qualities of certain unemployed Scots.

My Dad was unemployed for about a year, 18 months when I was a teenager. It ripped him apart. He was a Fifer, he was a miner and he was a grafter. It was horrible to see a man as hard grafting as my Dad be without work. You know what he did? He went to Thurso College and started educating himself for the first time since he was 14. He was one of only 3 people to pass his Health Physics exams and he's now a monitor at Dounreay. He's been there 10 years or so now. I have never always seen eye-to-eye with my Dad but he will always have my respect for what he did.
    Last edited by midi2304; 30-Oct-06 at 20:03.

Wicks a small place,most empolyers know your family,and when you last had a pint.Maybe the poles are working for less money(many in london do)?,maybe thats why they dont employ locals?

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast