Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Landline not working

Default Landline not working

I cannot receive calls or make calls .The line is ok as I have broadband & no problem with it .Have tried another phone but still nothing .I have tried another filter to see if this would help but nothing . If anyone can help please let me know . Thanks

Locate your master socket - this is the one which is connected to the BT cable coming into the house. If it's a standard NT5E box then the faceplate will have a split, and the lower section of the faceplate can be unscrewed & removed. Behind the lower section is another wee socket - plug a phone directly into it & listen for a dialtone. If you get one then the fault lies within your house (extensions or something plugged in somewhere), otherwise you can report it to your landline provider.

If you do get a dialtone then you can replace the bottom of the faceplate. You then need to unplug everything which is plugged into the phone line everywere in the house, including phones, any removable extensions, router, Sky box, etc., and can plug them back in one at a time. If you still get a dialtone then it's likely fine - once you plug the router back in you'll need to ensure filters are on all other connected items.

Hopefully that'll help you diagnose where the problem lies.