Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: £10 For a crab

Well i used to haul a few creels a good few years ago and i would say Tescos price is quite fair ..... i mean we would get maybe 40p per crab and the buyer we sold to would get maybe £3 per crab ...... so by the time the crab gets shipped from Caithness to wherever and gets cooked and vacuum packed and back here £10 per crab isna that bad !!!!!!

80p a kg we get for crab and there selling them for £10 eatch ffs where is the justice in that

I only buy Fairtrade crabs these days. I make sure that the fishermen who risk life and limb getting our food are getting a decent price.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Isn't that for like Malasian fishermen?

Buy my ones from the Farmers Market on a Saturday in Stornoway £1 a time, you can also buy claws only.
    First time I bought them did not realise they were alive as I gave the person who was with me the money to pay for them whilst I went to do something else, had three in a plastic bag, took them with me to a light lunch, then home and popped them in the fridge.
    Went to the fridge later that evening to have a crab - then I realised it was looking at me, blowing bubbles and waving its sensors, it was alive.
    Got the big pot on the cooker and set to on a Saturday night to cook the blighters, they did taste great.
    Now I take them straight home and in the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by cogzie View Post
    80p a kg we get for crab and there selling them for £10 eatch ffs where is the justice in that

Why don't you retail your catch on a stall in the High St and undercut Tesco?

Quote Originally Posted by GLENELG View Post
    I was up to-day at Tescos and they were charging £10 for a Crab,.
    a quick link on their website shows this
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=262919342
    no mention of crab at £10

So are Tesco in Caithness just charging any old price ? i thought the price had to be the same in every shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

So are Tesco in Caithness just charging any old price ? i thought the price had to be the same in every shop?
    Tesco compete with whoever is around them, for instance, when I lived in Dundee, the Tesco Metro, was a lot dearer for certain items, than the Tesco Extra (which was a 15 minute walk away) Opposite the Tesco Metro was Marks and Spencer, and they only had to undercut them slightly. I can only think they charge for "convenience".

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-Gal View Post
    buy directly from the fishermen who catch crabs?
    There's a joke there somewhere...

Not that I know any you understand!

If people we're willing to pay good money for day fresh crab or lobster at harbours instead of tesco every small boat would be cashing in,However most people who come to harbours are looking for fresh shellfish for free or very cheap.As a result of this,fishermen don't want the hassle for a few measly quid.For those shellfish lovers out there that ARE willing to pay, find a small fishing boat And wave £20 in the skippers face and he wil happily give u 10 crabs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123