Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: £10 For a crab

NOT FAR FROM THE SEA AND SHORE____________

Default £10 For a crab

I was up to-day at Tescos and they were charging £10 for a Crab,the people that are riscking there life .catching them are not even getting that for 10 crabs.A no that Tescos are the most expensive Super market in the UK,And to charge £10 for a small Crab is ridiculous you would get a Turkey cheaper.

Who press-ganged these poor fishermen, that they have had to 'risk their lives?'

its about time the supermarkets got their claws out of the poor fisherman....the fishing industry is just a shell of what it used to be.

Nobody press ganged them but it is a fact of life that fishing is a horrendously dangerous and hard job. I would not want anyone I loved doing it, it is bad enough to have a family member on the lifeboat crew and worrying about him without thinking about the times he was out on a boat when he was fishing.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Quote Originally Posted by offcomedun View Post
    its about time the supermarkets got their claws out of the poor fisherman....the fishing industry is just a shell of what it used to be.
    Very true offcomedun.

Very well said unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by offcomedun View Post
    excellent puns indeed

seriously though, how big was this crab ? presumably it was cooked/prepared in some way ?

It was a small Orkney female crab and it was cooked,the same size of crab which there selling in Liddles for £3

Quote Originally Posted by linnie612 View Post
    Who press-ganged these poor fishermen, that they have had to 'risk their lives?'
    Any job at sea is risky, and treacherous at this time of year, in this weather. Whilst no one is press ganged. Some times needs must.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Maybe the good people of Caithness are finally cottoning on that Tesco may not be the saviour of society they were thought to be?

Its a bit unfortunate for them that crab, is a KVI (known value item) to Glenelg. In charging £10 a pop for one, they are hoping that most of the buying public are too remote from the reality of life these days that they have no earthly idea what crab is worth, and will happily shell out () £10 for a peedie one as a Christmas luxury!

It should really beg the question, "how many other non KVI's are they charging funny money for?"

Is there nowhere at any local harbours where Crabs, Lobster's can be bought ?...I bought a few bags of Crab claws and a decent size dressed Crab from a mobile fish seller who stopped, beeping his horn outside my abode...I think it only cost £8.50 and tasted really fresh.

Why would any one buy a crab or any sort of sea food from a supermarket in the county when you can easily get fresh?
    I prefer to visit one of the local harbours and purchase direct from the small boats in the knowledge that it is straight from the sea and I will pay an honest price,although you would then have to cook and dress it but that is quite an easy task.
    I also use the fishmongers and find their seafood excellent and their staff very friendly.

I would point out though that if the crab is ready dressed then the cost will be much higher as you will need the meat from 2 or 3 crabs to fill the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Why would any one buy a crab or any sort of sea food from a supermarket in the county when you can easily get fresh?
    Probably for the same reason they won't buy anything else local and fresh!

Quote Originally Posted by GLENELG View Post
    I was up to-day at Tescos and they were charging £10 for a Crab,the people that are riscking there life .catching them are not even getting that for 10 crabs.A no that Tescos are the most expensive Super market in the UK,And to charge £10 for a small Crab is ridiculous you would get a Turkey cheaper.
    I agree with you, their prices are never competive, and with regard to what farmers and fishermen get for their produce, it amounts to less than a pittance! and is a downright disgrace,
    how can Tesco's justify a jump of 65% on one of their most basic products in one week?
    the product referred to is their most basic of basic plain rice,
    which was 40p per pack and it shot up to 65p, where is the justification in that.

Tesco are in my opinion, daylight robbers!!!
    Last edited by Commore; 17-Dec-11 at 12:22. Reason: spelling error

I'm afraid justification does not come into it.

In Tesco's it is ready to go, no need to go to a fishmongers in a different part of town, no need to look for ingredients with which to dress it etc., etc.

CONVENIENCE is the word and ALWAYS WILL BE the word; except for those who appreciate good fresh food and local suppliers.

And to charge £10 for a small Crab is ridiculous you would get a Turkey cheaper.
    But you dont get as many legs on a turkey

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DeHaviLand View Post
    But you dont get as many legs on a turkey
    Turkeys are also a real pain to get out of the creel.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 17-Dec-11 at 13:07.

There is a Very Simple answer to all you who are complaining about Tesco and their Prices.

That is ......Wait for it as I dont want to get you all too Excited.

Just....Do....Not....Go....Into....Tesco....and... .Buy....From....Them.

That way you will have nothing to complain about and you all should be Happy then.

As to the price rise of Rice, there is a Global Shortage of Rice and the price has risen by 70% and in some cases more. This price rise is now filtering down and is being passed on to the consumer.

As an Example a Kilo of Rice has Doubled in Price in Bangladesh, :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/ne...eq_wt_sl.shtml

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I was up to-day at Tescos and they were charging £10 for a Crab
    You know what I'd do? I wouldn't buy it.

the people that are riscking there life .catching them are not even getting that for 10 crabs.A no that Tescos are the most expensive Super market in the UK,And to charge £10 for a small Crab is ridiculous you would get a Turkey cheaper.
    You what I'd do? I wouldn't catch and sell them for a too-low price.

Is there anywhere in Caithness where you can go and buy directly from the fishermen who catch crabs?
    And if there is do people tell others about it or do they keep it to themselves?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast