Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: £10 For a crab

NOT FAR FROM THE SEA AND SHORE____________

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    Turkeys are also a real pain to get out of the creel.
    All depends what size of creel and Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-Gal View Post
    Is there anywhere in Caithness where you can go and buy directly from the fishermen who catch crabs?
    And if there is do people tell others about it or do they keep it to themselves?
    You can go down to any Harbour and the Fishermen are quite willing to give you a few crabs for free as longs you do not make a habit of it as some people do,they do not realize that it costs a lot of money now to run a Creel Boat even a small one,the days of will give you a dram the next time we see you,which you never get are long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-Gal View Post
    Is there anywhere in Caithness where you can go and buy directly from the fishermen who catch crabs?
    And if there is do people tell others about it or do they keep it to themselves?
    I doubt you will get an answer on here, the fishery officer might be an orger and he will be duty bound to act on "black" back pocket landings EEC rules and all that.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Tesco drive the prices down in all industries. I used to be in dairy farming and i'm not now because of the big supermarkets driving down the prices. But people will still keep going there because it's cheap and they can save money for more fun things.
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Quote Originally Posted by GLENELG View Post
    I was up to-day at Tescos and they were charging £10 for a Crab,the people that are riscking there life .catching them are not even getting that for 10 crabs.A no that Tescos are the most expensive Super market in the UK,And to charge £10 for a small Crab is ridiculous you would get a Turkey cheaper.
    Think we will land to tesco at that price lol . As were only getting £1.20 kilo from the buyer and thats for this time of year lol in the summer months it could be as little as 80p kilo and 50p kilo.
    Nothin runs like a deere

You can go down to any Harbour and the Fishermen are quite willing to give you a few crabs for free as longs you do not make a habit of it as some people do,they do not realize that it costs a lot of money now to run a Creel Boat even a small one,the days of will give you a dram the next time we see you,which you never get are long gone
    When is the best time to go down to a and try to buy a crab or lobster? Also which is the best harbour to go? I don't mind paying. They are doing it to make a living & know it will be fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by deere john View Post
    Think we will land to tesco at that price lol . As were only getting £1.20 kilo from the buyer and thats for this time of year lol in the summer months it could be as little as 80p kilo and 50p kilo.
    Land to Asda and you will get a lot more,the only thing is you will have to go to Elgin

Quote Originally Posted by gerry4 View Post
    When is the best time to go down to a and try to buy a crab or lobster? Also which is the best harbour to go? I don't mind paying. They are doing it to make a living & know it will be fresh.
    Sunday mornings usually at Wick,not allot of meat in Crab just now Lol

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    I doubt you will get an answer on here, the fishery officer might be an orger and he will be duty bound to act on "black" back pocket landings EEC rules and all that.
    Hi there, crabs and lobsters come under different regulations - I do not believe there are quotes on catching them - for now anyway!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spring Flower View Post
    Hi there, crabs and lobsters come under different regulations - I do not believe there are quotes on catching them - for now anyway!!
    This fellow is thinking different http://www.fishnewseu.com/latest-news/scottish/5972-skipper-voices-fears-over-shellfish-quota.html

A
    nd not sure what th outcome of the following was/is http://www.fishnewseu.com/latest-new...arns-nffo.html
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Fishmongers on thurso harbour can probably help you there?

well if you at the harbour when crab boats come in if you ask them they might give you a few crabs to take home an cook for your self you can only ask

I know a public convenience where you can catch crabs.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    So do I ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Anyone know why my post was removed...I've had no messages ...it wasn't rude and was very similar to your post Ducati .

Quote Originally Posted by linnie612 View Post
    Who press-ganged these poor fishermen, that they have had to 'risk their lives?'
    Nobody has press ganged them, they do it to make a living unlike some people in the world who would rather sponge of the government!! And YES they do risk their lives everyday simply to make ends meet...

Sunday mornings usually at Wick,not allot of meat in Crab just now Lol
    Lybster Harbour for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by linnie612 View Post
    Who press-ganged these poor fishermen, that they have had to 'risk their lives?'
    'Pressure' comes in many ways, forms and disguises.
    Pressure to provide for your family, pressure to not be a parasite, pressure to not let your work colleagues down, pressure to meet consumers demands and so on will press a fisherman to work in what can be a dangerous and harsh enviroment. So yes, they are pressed into going out in all weathers one way or another.

What fishermen and other hard workig men dont feel pressed to do is claim and sponge like a parasite in order to wear the latest fashions and know their rights inside out like some 'men' like to do.
    Its all about pride and priorities

i spent years on and off creel boats and was so sick of crabs after a while that i just gave them away to family and friends now i cant afford even a small crab from any shop!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebee90 View Post
    Nobody has press ganged them, they do it to make a living unlike some people in the world who would rather sponge of the government!! And YES they do risk their lives everyday simply to make ends meet...
    And i fully agree with you there bumblebee,you allways get somebody that doesent no what there talking about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast