Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Elderberry wine

Default Elderberry wine

Does anyone have a recipe for elderberry wine.

I do, but when I made it, it was AWFUL tasting. It did make excellent drain cleaner, however.

I hope you have better luck than I did

LOL sassy, I was thinkin o you when read this post. We used the same recipe, and it stunk up my cupboard for months. At least it didnt blow up like grandpa's root beer.

So beetlecrusher, I have the recipe (uses the crushed berries, not the blossoms) and happy to share it, but honestly, I was happier with the elderberry jelly I made. Either pm me or answer here. -H

I used to make elderberry wine based mostly on red grape juice concentrate from Boots (do they still do home brewing/winemaking stuff?) and fresh elderberries in season, or dried ones when not. There used to be a grand home brew shop in Morningside in Edinburgh where I got the dried berries.

I only ever had two problems with elderberry wine.
    (a) It seems to get you very drunk. I read somewhere that elderberries have exactly the right nutrients to keep the yeast robust and healthy so it can ferment to a high alcohol level.
    (b) One batch I made I bottled too early and it did a secondary fermentation in the bottles. Good thing we had a dark brown carpet...

Not a great fan of elderberry - prefer elderflower - but have made it from both fresh and dried berries. Made one batch from the dried ones and it tasted like a good port. How it happened I don't know, but we weren't able to do it again, unfortunately.

There is a link here with a recipe.

www.red4.co.uk/Recipes/elderberry-wine.htm

Hope this helps.