Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: William Sutherland b1814 Watten

Default William Sutherland b1814 Watten

I am trying to trace the family of William Sutherland born in Watten in 1814. He joined the 93rd regiment of Foot and ended up retiring to Toronto Canada in 1850s. I have all his military records. but none document his marriage to his wife Eliza Howard. I found what might be his baptism in parish records but have no proof it is him or no information on his parents. I would appreciate any information anyone might be able to supply to me. Thank you , Harley Sutherland

Hi
    How do you get 1814 in Watten.
    Do you have family to William and his wife?
    I ask this because - see below - but this need to be comfirmed because many Sutherlands around that time.

County Caithness-shire
    Place Watten
    Church Church of Scotland
    BaptismDate 11 Aug 1814
    Forename William
    Sex M
    FatherForename John
    MotherForename Janet
    FatherSurname SUTHERLAND
    MotherSurname MURRAY
    Abode Park of Cogill
    FatherOccupation
    Notes Witnesses - John Bruce in Tarrool and James Manson in East Watten
    FileNumber 21144

Any extra Scotland Data?
    I have Watten Sutherlands and Murrays
    Tricia

The date of birth and location came from documentation regarding his signing on with the 93rd regiment of foot in 1831 on May 20 1831 indicating that he was 18 years old at that time and was born at Watten. (WO97/1021) I have all of his offspring (born in Canada) and his wife's name from Canadian census but can not find the marriage date or location. On various sources she shows as been born in Ireland, Canada and Scotland. I am aware of the parish records regarding the birth of a William Sutherland in 1814 but have no proof that this is my William. I also could not find any additional information on these parents. I am planning a trip to Watten from my home in Canada this spring to see if I can find any local records. I thank you for your response and would welcome any suggestions you might have to get me beyond this impass. Harley Sutherland

Have been away over Xmas and New Year.....
    Catching up now!
    Do you have all the children to William and Eliza ??? in date order - Scottish naming pattern can give good clues!
    What evidence for Eliza being HOWARD.
    Happy to help if I can!

Hi Tricia,

The following is the information you requested:

Children of William Sutherland and Eliza Howard
    John Sutherland b 14 Feb. 1847, Quebec City, per Drouin Collection
    William Sutherland b 25 Apr. 1848, Quebec City, per Drouin Collection
    Edward S. Sutherland b23 Dec. 1853, Toronto, Ontario per 1901 Canadian Census
    David Sutherland b June 1857, Toronto, Ontario, per USA Federal Census
    Mary Margaret May Sutherland b abt. 1857 per Province of Ontario Marriage Certificate

Eliza Sutherland's maiden name was Howard as per her so Edward's Province of Ontario Death certificate (1932)
    I hope this information is helpful and once again I appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

Best regards,
    Harley Sutherland

Harley
    I haven't forgotten.
    Then tonight I typed a reply and before I sent it something went wrong and it vanishes.

Anyway - it looks promising for your William b 1814 Watten as he was 18 in 1831….. no others 1813 - 1815 .......... unless he lied about his age to join up.!!! Do you have him in any census in Canada with age.....
    Can't find Eliz Howard yet........ did they marry Canada?

John Sutherland and Janet Murray married Watten
    groom's name: John Sutherland
    bride's name: Jannet Murray
    marriage date: 14 Dec 1799
    marriage place: Watten,Caithness,Scotland Abode for Groom : Bylbster Bride: Tarool
    indexing project (batch) number: M11042-2
    system origin: Scotland-ODM
    source film number: 990557

Children
    21 Nov 1800 Margaret F John SUTHERLAND Jannet MURRAY Bilbster Witnesses - William Sutherland in Bilbster and John Tait in Bridgend. Bilbster! may have been mis-spelled!!
    21 Mar 1802 Magnus M John SUTHERLAND Jannet MURRAY Bylbster Witnesses - Donald Mowat in Crook, parish of Wick and James Georgeson in Knapperfield
    6 Sep 1803 E?? F John SUTHERLAND Jannet MURRAY Bylbster Witnesses - James Georgeson In Knapperfield and ? Murray in Tarroul2 oct 1803
    9 Feb 1806 Mary F John SUTHERLAND Jannet MURRAY Tails of Watten Witnesses - Joseph Murray in Banks of Coghill and William Murray in Tails of Watten
    15 Feb 1808 Jannet F John SUTHERLAND Jannet MURRAY East watten Witnesses -William Larnach in Strath of Watten and David Murray in Crook
    23 May 1810 Margaret F John SUTHERLAND Janet MURRAY East Watten Witnesses - James and Alexander Sutherland both in Bylbster
    15 Nov 1812 ?jane F John SUTHERLAND Janet MURRAY Park of Cogill Witnesses - James Manson in East Watten and Alexander Sutherland in Bilbster
    11 Aug 1814 William M John SUTHERLAND Janet MURRAY Park of Cogill Witnesses - John Bruce in Tarrool and James Manson in East Watten

Janet Murray is daughter of William Murray and Margaret Murray(msMurray) married Kanpperfield. William farmed in Kanpperfield then Tarool.

These Murrays relate to me.
    I just need to do detective work on John Sutherland now.

sending now in case it vanishes again
    Tricia

Default William Murray Margaret Murray proclamation to marry 29 Jan 1773 Knapperfield Watten

MURRAY children:
    4 Jun 1775 Janet F William MURRAY Margaret MURRAY Knapperfield Witnesses William Georgeson and James Levach both in Cogill
    25 Jun 1777 Margaret F William MURRAY(YOUNGER) Margaret MURRAY Knapperfield Witnesses Malcom Murray and William Maciver both in Cogill
    27 Feb 1778 Ann F William MURRAY Margaret MURRAY Knapperfield Witnesses John Levach in Watten and Donald Georgeson in Cogill
    14 Apr 1781 Jean F William MURRAY Margaret MURRAY Knapperfield Witnesses - Donald Cormack in Watten and David Murray in Knapperfield
    26 Jun 1783 Margaret F William MURRAY Margaret MURRAY Tarroull Witnesses Peter Miller in Strath of Wattin and William Murray inTtarroull
    13 Jun 1785 Elspet F William MURRAY Margt. MURRAY Taroul Witnesses David and William Murray both in Knapperfield
    13 Jan 1789 Malcom M Wiliam MURRAY Margaret MURRAY Tarroul Witnesses Malcom Murray and William Mowat both in Old Crook
    12 Jul 1790 William M William MURRAY Margaret MURRAY Tarroul Witnesses William Hill in Bylbster and William In Brabster Dorran, Parish of Bower
    7 Dec 1792 David M William MURRAY Margaret MURRAY Tarroul Witnesses - James Stephen in Tails of Watten and ?? Miller in Strath of Watten
    26 Jul 1795 Ann F William MURRAY Margarat MU?? Tarrool Witnesses- James Stephen in Tails of Watten and William Murray in Greenland

Thanks once again Tricia

Harley
    Is this of help:

name: William L. Sutherland
    event: Intended Marriage
    event date: 19 Apr 1841
    event place: Medina, Ohio
    spouse: Elizabeth Howard
    digital folder number: 4016735

Image can be viewed: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XZ5F-H53
    Could be coincidence - and not sure where the middle name L comes from. Perhaps this William can be found eslewehere and so rule him out?

Thanks again Tricia.....I will need some time away from my working on this, but will be back in touch when I have some time to devote to it.
    regards,
    Harley

Hi Tricia,
    I am back after some medical problems, but ready to continue tracing my family tree. I am traveling to Scotland in Sept. and will be spending 3 days in Wick to see if I can find any local information on my family. Can you suggest how I might best spend my time there in this regard. Any help would be appreciated.
    best regards,
    Harley

Hello Harley,

I did a similar pilgrimage to you a year or so ago - went to Watten and Wick looking for a different William Sutherland. Sadly my research was not fruitful. With the greatest of respect to the good archivists at Wick I found the archives had a dearth of public computers (one available the time I went I think) and they have to be booked ahead for a limit of two hours. It just was not long enough for me to have travelled to Wick from New Zealand, try to find the records I wanted then have to leave before I achieved what I wanted. So I do suggest that you make contact with the Wick archive, book your computer ahead of time, perhaps check ahead of time what likely records could be available eg I had rather hoped for some school rolls but my prior check revealed that the school rolls I had hoped for were non-existant anyway.

I stayed out at Watten and drove round the area and enjoyed that.

So not much help I am sorry but every bit of planning ahead is useful.

Regards Christina

Thank you Christina..........I will call ahead and book some computer time and ask about specific resources they have available.
    Best regards,
    Harley

Harley
    Did you get any further with research when in Caithness.
    I have been exploring a bit getting and proving facts from the US side of his family.
    Tricia