Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Advice re soft ware

Question Advice re soft ware

Hi
    I would like to buy something for my parent's (80's and technophobic) Christmas to help them make a family tree with my 11 year old, who has the use of a fairly old laptop with Windows 7.
    There is a bewildering array of things to buy and advice online, which I can't get my head around
    They don't have the internet, so all the sort of ancestry sites etc are of no use.
    Does anyone have experience of such software or anything like this that they would recommend we get?
    Just something which lets you fill in names, dates etc and print things out easily, I suppose, and perhaps leads you through how to cross reference?
    Any advice gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Kate
    celebrate the one life we have

I use Family Tree Maker and Charting Companion for FTM. It has quite a lot of features, but I just use it to record the basics which has an easy-to-understand layout.

I must admit this is the only software I have tried, so cannot compare it with others. However, it was OK for someone such as me with only basic computer skills.