Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wifi help

Smile Wifi help

We have a large house where the walls are very thick and I want to get wifi all around the house, can I put more than one router on one phone line, if not what are my options? Thanks in advance

No it is not possible to put more than one router on one 'phone line. There are devices called range extenders, I have never used them and I think they may prove to be a bit fiddly (and expensive if you need several to get coverage). Use your search engine of choice to find out more.

you'll probably need to link several wireless access point together using cat5 cable to give whole building coverage in a house with thick walls.

If you want to try the diy option it's just a case of wandering around the house with a laptop seeing where you get a signal. Try different positions for the router, in general the higher you place the router in any particular room the better.

Once you establish where you get a signal then take a wireless access point / router to a dead zone and then do the same excercise with a laptop. Do that until you establish just how few wireless access points you need and then plan your cabling.

Let me know if you need a more detailed explanation.

With very thick stone walls it could well be that you need a wireless access point in every room where you want to have access.
    Last edited by Nick Noble; 27-Nov-11 at 22:06.

Thanks for that , I'll have a go

Just remembered that one house I fitted for wireless access I finished up installing an access point in the loft, gave good coverage to all the top floor rooms as the wooden floor of the loft didn't block the signal. Mind you if there had been any insulation that may have been different.