Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: An Ant City revealed

Default An Ant City revealed

That isn't a city its a country - cannot imagine how many ants worked and lived there, incredible workmanship and planning.

I watched this interesting film clip but I did regret that it appears that this whole world was destroyed in studying them. I wonder what other methods they considered and rejected to take a look. Or could they not have found one that was abandoned. It would be interesting to see the whole film if it is anywhere online.

Poor homeless ants

Imagine after pumping all the concrete there would be very few of them homeless or alive! but I really appreciated seeing the effort the ants made to make their own world and how they build and plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie View Post
    I watched this interesting film clip but I did regret that it appears that this whole world was destroyed in studying them. I wonder what other methods they considered and rejected to take a look. Or could they not have found one that was abandoned. It would be interesting to see the whole film if it is anywhere online.
    I must admit I completely agree with you Bill ! Although it was very interesting to see such a mammoth structure made by such tiny creatures, I felt it quite horrendeous that concrete had to be poured into this live (I'm only assuming that it was an alive community) ant-hill just for the sake of studying them !! !!!

I agree. Modern ground mapping radar and 3D imaging would have worked well without destroying billions of ants and years of their work. Interesting wee clip though, and I imagine there are still one or two ant colonies left. I don't think this is going to start a trend.....

The genius of the underground worker..and like all things beautiful mankind destroys it all