Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kindle or Real Book?

Thurso - and the Fantasy City of Darkhaven...

Default Kindle or Real Book?

Have you got one? Do you prefer the Kindle or the physical book?

Personally I now prefer the Kindle. Working away it makes my bag a lot lighter than 3 or 4 big paperbacks...lol

Cheers

James

Was thinking of getting one for my 11 year old daughter for Christmas.... Too young or perfect ? Thoughts ?

Love my kindle, when I can get my hands on it! Both boys have books on it and my husband has it at the moment while he travels. Still have to have real books when it comes to my favourite authors though.
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.

I like real books; mainly because I'm too mean to spend money on a kindle!

I get a lot of my books from the charity shops or from friends and of course there is always the library!

I like to see my books keeping each other company and readily available if I want to loan one to a friend.

I also have a habit of having two or three books on the go at the one time although with the memory becoming a bit foggy, I think it's time to cut back!

I thought about getting one but I think I prefer my books the old fashioned way, you can't take a kindle in the bath lol.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

The kindle is ok for when away from home as its not heavy.
    Ideal for reading at the airport or on a sun lounger....just make sure someone is watching your bag when you take a dip!
    But at home I love to read in the bath.
    Fall asleep with a book and drop it out the bed.
    Wouldnt fancy the kidles chances there.

Just got a kindle last week, but have not used it for reading yet - loaded a pile of books on for when I am on the move, will not have to lug heavy books.
    Kindle not for bath or bed - splash it or drop it - so will remain for when passing time or travelling.
    Also still have a huge pile of paper books still to read.
    After Christmas they will drop drastically in price I am sure.

Thurso - and the Fantasy City of Darkhaven...

Gave my old kindle to my 9yr old daughter - she loves it - Dropped mine several times lol but has a leather(ish) case and no damage.
    Reason I gave the kindle to daughter - she wanted the harry potter books and paid 50odd quid for the set...then remembered when we got home that I had the lot of them on my own kindle - Suppose it is hard to keep track if you have LOTS of them lol

I went on Ebay and paid 3quid for a DVD disc with 15000Scifi Fantasy Ebooks -

You also might like to know that there is a free online program to convert all book formats to Kindle -

www.calibre-ebook.com

Very simple and you can batch convert and edit titles etc to make it more pleasing to the eye.

Dont suppose the bath is a good idea unless you are very careful - you can use it easily with one hand.

Plus another good thing with the kindle is the ability to alter the size of the text - making it easier on the eyestrain for older readers! lol

Well I bought one today for her, its smaller than I expected and thinner so hope its fairly robust ...

i personally prefer a book.
    i like to turn the pages, i like the smell of a new book too! lol
    i spend enough time looking at the laptop screen as it is without looking at another one.

like the idea of the kindle though.
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

I won't have one, and nor will the wife.

She buys her books second-hand from amazon.co.uk, then reads them and sells them back on when she's done. Basically, her reading costs her next to nothing.

You can't do that with a Kindle.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

na, am no keen on a kindle either.

i hev too many "deid wood" books that i hev til get thro before i get a kindle. i hev ma own little library goin on here. i love love love books, i hev them ivrywhere. in ma car, in ma bathrooms, in ma kitchen, at ma side, in ma bag....in ma beid! i niver leave home withoot one. i love 'e wie the feel, an look. i love thur smell. i love how i can find ma page no problem withoot usin a bookmark.

wheniver i go off somewhere i can always remember 'e book that i wis readin 'at 'e time.

'e auld cheil wis goin til get me a kindle for ma birthday but i wanted a tom tom instead. then he asked if i wanted one for christmas but i asked for a bookcase

i ken if i do get one i mite forget all aboot ma faithful little friends.

i think ma love o' books all stemmed fie when i wis little. i wis ayie grounded. one day efter bein bad, i said til 'e auld cheil, "am no worried, il choost lie an' watch 'e telly"

he cut 'e plug off ma telly.....

i said, "fine, il read"

i wis grounded for 'e whole summer holidays once!!
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

I've got a kindle, but to be honest, if I'd had it on trial I wouldn't have spent money on it. But it is great for going on holiday as I usually go weighed down by books. I do like to see a well stocked bookcase, I like the feel and smell of a book, and if I enjoyed it, I like to pass it on. Kindle is good too, but I do not think it will ever replace a real book.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

If I had to choose an "electronic book" I would want one that does other stuff too.
    Sort of one with games and other apps on it as well.....not just a book.
    But I love getting a brand new book no-one else has read or opened before me especially if it comes plastic wrapped....Im a bit possessive over my books..no-one gets to look or touch them until Im finished...no pages folded down or spines bent!

I love real books, the smell, the nice designs on the cover, and the thought of having something new I love buying them too.

Plus, I buy books from charity shops, then give them back. I don't read books a second time (with a few exceptions), so there really is no point in having a Kindle filled with books.
    ~Sarah~
    Owner of 2 greyhounds, 1 Lurcher puppy, 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 guinea pig's and a hamster!

Well its a hit, my daughter does not put the kindle down ! Battery last for ages too so all is good. .

Am I right in thinking that a Kindle user can only borrow a book from another Kindle user for a one off period of two weeks? At least with a real book you can pass it around as many friends as you like and then hand it into a Charity Shop once its a bit worn.
    Another thing I've found is that eBook downloads are often as expensive as the paperback. How can that be when there is no paper, board or packaging?
    Maybe I'm just being overly cynical as usual.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Got to be a real book every time for me. like others I will buy secondhand as well as new but still have many a well thumbed tome on the shelves here, the criteria being that if I read a book and enjoy it, I will come back and read it a second time or more.

Borrowing a book for 2 weeks would be ample time for me to read it.
    I can devour a book in a day(well night) if I get into it!
    It did take me 3 nights to read the lord of the rings last time though....
    And I have just finished Inheritance over 2 nights because the battery on my E book reader gave up before me!
    Thats one disadvantage I never thought about...batteries dont go flat on a proper book!

My daughter liked reading books before she got the Kindle but now all she does is read. I really feel for the younger generation of readers this is the way to get them interested. Its light and compact easy to carry around or slip in a bag. The charge in it does last a long while. Its also smart looking which and more 'fashionable' than a 'book' to read hopefully making it interesting to boys as they seem to be left behind in the reading stakes. You can down load a book in seconds and many of them are free. You get to read a sample of the book before you buy so are not really missing out on anything. If it can get my children off the xbox and reading instead then I am happy !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast