Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kindle or Real Book?

Have now been using my kindle for a few weeks and getting to like it but of course still cannot read it in the bath!
    I download mainly free books but if I do want a book will buy, have bought a few which have caught my eye and look interesting.
    Paid 2.99 for Alistair Darlings book, it was on special from 16.99 - would not pay more than 2.99 for it - wanted to read it as his mother was from the island and he comes up here fairly often, he was also my MP when living in Edinburgh, only got a few pages into it at the moment.
    Will be traveling next week so have downloaded a few books I fancy reading whilst away.
    Have paid for a few fun books - started reading one two nights ago, have difficulty putting it down as I find it so amusing.
    It is also very good that people cannot see what you are reading, when traveling I always seem to notice the people striding through travel centres with 'the latest must read' prominently held in hand on very much on display on top of hand luggage as if to say 'look at my reading'.
    Two senior males I used to work with at various times were obviously ashamed of their reading matter as they always hid their books in a large autobiography - one used to read hundred of westerns and the other chap read all the mills and boon books - with a kindle nobody knows what you are reading.

Oh!
    My reading material has always been varied and I just love a book...sometimes any book!
    I used to have a cardboard box of really trashy westerns...the series was called Edge, after the main character.
    I would read them at work(teabreak and lunchbreak) just as happily as reading a Terry Pratchett or a Wilbur Smith...sometimes you just want light reading..othertimes something more heavy...or a magazine from Focus, new Scientist, to take a break or even have ended up reading the hello kitty mag...picked up my 5 yo reading material by mistake ...ended up flicking through it though!...eyebrows would be raised ..but not a word said!

Totally agree with you Dadie, my reading material is very very varied and I could not care who sees what I am reading but the two males concerned were both my very senior bosses in different parts of the country but both obviously did not like to be seen reading what they considered to be unsuitable reading material for them.
    I have 4 kids joke books, a funny book about police life, a couple of humour books, a few biographies, a few mystery, a few romance downloaded for this trip - when travelling I only like light books that you can set down and pick up, requiring no concentration. Joke books are easy as you get so many interruptions when travelling, on train folk getting off/in, trolley, ticket collector, if flying you are sitting waiting for the flight to be called, then up and down for toilet breaks, trolley dollies coming round, neighbour chatting to you so always losing place, joke book does not matter just open and read you do not worry about losing thread of story, but that is my preference.

Just thinking of loading up my tablet(yup its not a kindle and its not an ipad ..it is more like an ipad in what it does though) with books for the kids too....Early reader stuff at about the Chip and Kipper level 3/4 for Lauren and level 1/2 for Iona...useful when having to sit through the other one doing something, that they shouldnt join in with, but I have no real time to go somewhere/home etc..and come back to pick them up...
    Might stop them from playing with angry birds and the talking tom cat!
    Any suggestions on free/cheap books?
    Last edited by Dadie; 14-Jan-12 at 22:07.

Quote Originally Posted by rich62_uk View Post
    My daughter liked reading books before she got the Kindle but now all she does is read. I really feel for the younger generation of readers this is the way to get them interested. Its light and compact easy to carry around or slip in a bag. The charge in it does last a long while. Its also smart looking which and more 'fashionable' than a 'book' to read hopefully making it interesting to boys as they seem to be left behind in the reading stakes. You can down load a book in seconds and many of them are free. You get to read a sample of the book before you buy so are not really missing out on anything. If it can get my children off the xbox and reading instead then I am happy !
    You can get books for 99p but they are usually rubbish! You can get the classics for free. Otherwise a book costs about £1 less than the real one. However, the thought of no more libraries, no more well stocked book-shelves, fills me with dismay! Don't think it will ever happen though.
    The best thing about kindle? Lightweight and portable. Can increase size of font when eyes get tired. Can download a book in an instant.
    The worst thing? Getting to a really interesting bit when the battery runs out!
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Default e-book readers

The only thing that may ever tempt me to go to e-books may be the possibility of increased font size as and when my eyesight grows dim. But there will be a lot of kicking and screaming involved.
    The time may come when archaeologists search the past electronically. What happens if there is a change in the magnetic poles, we temporarily lose our magnetic protection, we get bombarded by particles from solar flares and - woops - we just lose a generation's worth of (irreplacable) first editions from a generation yet to come?
    Long live real books.

I didnt like the thought of kindle much but got one for my xmas and have hardly set it down since. I like real books but its great having both. I like my book shelves for bigger books but rarely bother keeping paperback novels cos I read so many of them - so thats where kindle is great. Now I grab all the latest paperbacks cheap as ebooks on amazon (all the ones Ive priced have been at least a couple of quid cheaper than tescos paperbacks) AND classics are free. Love how it remembers your page and the dictionary pop up if you come across a word you dont recognise meaning of. Also find the battery lasts ages and charges quickly and the screen is not like a computer screen - it doesnt give eyestrain as I thought it would. Had it - what 3 weeks now and read 5 books already. There is still always gonna be books Id want to have the paper copy for but kindle is great for everything else.

I love, love, love my Kindle, I have always been an avid book reader until my partner bought me a Kindle for my birthday, I have never looked back, I love the fact that you can get books instantly, when I want to read a certain book, I can have it available within 30 seconds, I am quite impatient, I don't like having to wait for new releases to be sent to me, I want to read them straight away, I would spend all day & night reading my kindle if I didn't have to work, look after the kids etc....definately a kindle lover.

Yesterday, my daughter was home briefly at lunchtime. She had picked-up a book for her daughter, and left it (innocently) on the coffee table. When my 6-year-old granddaughter arrived home from school, she wandered into the sitting room, saw the book, picked it up, sat on the sofa and promptly started reading it - with no comments or actions by me.

No kindle could EVER do that.

PS: the book had been "ordered" on-line from the library
    Last edited by David Banks; 10-Feb-12 at 21:48. Reason: added PS

I dont know....
    I had my tablet pinched today by my 3yo and she sat and fiddled with it..got the kindle books up... and read UG and OG by herself...
    She calls it mums innotab though!
    And yes there is loads and loads of kids books in the house...every room seems to have books in it within easy reach, including, the bathroom!

Quote Originally Posted by rich62_uk View Post
    Was thinking of getting one for my 11 year old daughter for Christmas.... Too young or perfect ? Thoughts ?
    If it engourges ure daughter to read it will be agood thing i know i never read books but yet i can quite happily surf the internet read on there i find that really weird but if gadget device engourges people to read and learn that can only be a positive thing

Totally agree Eddie, and it has ! Find the kindle and you find my daughter lmao.

I really do prefer the Kindle or another e-ink e-book reader and though I've always read a lot I now find myself reading even more. The purpose of a book is to convey information, ideas or stories it doesn't matter whether it's a paper book, an audio book or an e-book. That being said the good things about the Kindle are:

• Access to many free books via free classics on Amazon, offers on Amazon or project Gutenberg.
    • The Highland libraries don't have it but yet but you can even rent e-books for your local library.
    • The battery lasts me for about 30-40 days and that's with some pretty heavy and frequent reading.
    • Amazon have excellent customer service and have replaced even out of warranty Kindles.
    • Generally, unless the publisher is one of those big ones that joined Apple on their price fixing scheme then e-books are a good chunk cheaper.
    • You don't have to carry a lot of heavy books with you.
    • You can easily lookup works, makes notes and have automatic books marks.
    • There's a cheap cover specifically for reading in the bath or in a pool or whatever if you're one of those people. Sorry no book paper air freshener yet though.
    • If you subscribe to Amazon Prime (£49 a year) you can get a lot of free books, library style (http://www.thestreet.com/story/11298...g-library.html)
    • If you have multiple Kindles on the same account they can share e-books.
    • If you already own the paper book then you're well within your rights to download a pirated copy of the ebook. It's covered under the fair use provision under format translation and backup.

I'm probably missing a few things there are just that many advantages.

On a side note here's some potentially useful things for the Kindle:

If you're going to give one to a child and you're worried about them hammering your debit/credit card buying books. It might be a good idea to create a separate account just for them, don't tie a credit/debit card to it and give them gift certificates. Just buy an e-mail certificate and give them the code or apply it yourself no need to wait for one in the post unless it's for a birthday or something.

Personally I like real books, I know you can have many books on Kindle. But nothing beats having a real book to read, its something you can go back to time and again. And as a collector of books I prefer the real thing, plus I am not that good at reading things on screen for long periods of time.
    "Or perhaps they had invisible writing unknown to ordinary trolls"

Daughters kindle broke so we phoned up Amazon kindle and they sent us another one free of charge ! All they wanted was the old one back.... Fantastic customer service lol.

Im a converted kindle lover! Me and the hubby have dozens and dozens of books (we both re-read books several times) but our book case was overflowing. For my birthday he got me a kindle and i instantly loved it, even though i said i never would get one.

I have downloaded about 20 free books and loved them all. And about 15 low priced ones (99p) and again....loved them all.

Also i send books to him, he sends books to me. And i find that because i can make the text larger, i dont get head aches (dont need glasses just eyes ache and head)

I have a leather case for my kindle so find it really robust with or without it. A happy kindle person here so much lighter than lugging books everywhere (hubbys books are The Wheel of time so can you imagine carrying them? They weigh a tonne!)
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

I like and have both.

I prefer a real book when reading at home, but rather than lugging books around when on the move, the kindle is great.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12