Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Union Inn Lybster

Question Union Inn Lybster

I am trying to find out information about the Union Inn in Russell St Lybster. My great grandfather, Neil Munro, lived here according to the 1891 census. Does anyone know if the building is still standing or any history on the building? I believe it was run by Helen Sutherland.
    Thanks Anne

It is now called the Bayview Hotel and has its own website - www.the bayviewhotel.co.uk. There is a chapter about its history in Donald Young's Book of Lybster.
    spittalhill

thank you - I thought that might be the case but couldn't find anything to verify it.

The Sutherland family who ran the Union Inn at that time were relatives of mine. Have had a quick look but can't see any immediate connections to the Munro family.

No I can't see a link as yet but my great grandfather was there at census so I expect that he was boarding with his wife and 2 children. I do have links to Sutherlands however from a place called Achow. Haven't researched Achow as yet. Thank you for looking. Do you know any more about the Inn? I have had a look but can't get hold of a copy of the book about Lybster by Donald Young at this time.

Default Union Inn

Send me a PM and I will send you a copy of the relevant chapter. The book is now out of print, I think. I also have Sutherland ancestors from Achow, but there were a lot of Sutherlands in Latheron then and still are.
    spittalhill

Thank you for your offer - pardon my ignorance - what is a PM? I would love a copy.

Private message - see bar at top of the page, below What's New.
    spittalhill

Default The Union Inn Lybster

I'm new to Caithness.org hence the time delay in responding to this post.

My mother's great aunt used to have the Union Inn and her name was Johan Sutherland. As far as I can find out her family used to have the Inver House which was down at the harbour in Lybster but it was closed back in 1870 ish and the family moved to the Union Inn. Johans mother was a Helen Sutherland born 1839 and died 1919. Think there may have been 5 or 6 children one of which was Johan who never married but took over the business at the Union Inn. The connection was on my Mother's fathers side of the family which would be my Grandfather James Bain from Osclay Lybster. Johan Sutherland was his aunt.
    This has most likely only confused you more, but hopefully it is of some help.

I am also related to Sutherlands from Achow, via my grandmother Helen Sutherland Lowe married to George Macleod, they lived at Reisgill Burn Lybster.

Default Union Inn

My Family tree to my Mothers side has been done however, at the moment I don't have a copy of it to see all the connections. Hope to get it soon and then I will have a better understanding of it all.