Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Dual Boot OS Help Needed.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dual Boot OS Help Needed.....

This ones for any of the clever clogs out there that know about running Linux with Windows XP....

Okay so my problem is that i've downloaded and install Fedora Core 5 and it's up and running fine. Im actually using it right now. But when i shut down my system and reboot it, i don't get an option to book up in XP instead. How do i fix this? Cause I desperately need back into my Windows system asap!

Here's a walkthrough and basic system breakdown if it helps.

1 > Started with an XP system with a single hard disc drive: C
    2 > Downloaded PowerQuest Partition Magic and partitioned 'C' as instructed but to install linux at a later date. This prompted me that when i'd want to install Linux i'd have to make the new partition 'Active'
    3 > Came to install Linux a few days later (today), made the new partition 'Active' and rebooted.
    4 > Ran the Fedora Core 5 installation and hey presto everything was fine and have Fedora Core 5 running on my machine.
    5 > Go to reboot to get into XP and there's no entry in the boot menu - just one for Fedora.

Help!

How can i switch between Fedora and XP and if i need to, how do i make the XP partition active from with in Fedora!

Please help!

Try this link:

http://www.highlandsun.com/hyc/linuxboot.html

Tried it and seems to be okay now.
    Last edited by pultneytooner; 23-Oct-06 at 13:05.

That link isn't working.

Please help!

Sorted the link, should be okay now but if not just copy and paste it into your browser.

Quote Originally Posted by pultneytooner View Post
    Try this link:

http://www.highlandsun.com/hyc/linuxboot.html

Tried it and seems to be okay now.
    I use GRUB (as opposed to lilo) as my loader. You'll find a "how-to" here.

I've had Linux/Windows dual-boot desktops and laptops for years. They're great because you have both OS's on the one machine.

However, I often find that I want access to both OS's at the same time. This leads to a lot of booting and rebooting. Indeed, most of my work colleagues no longer run dual-boot laptops - instead they run Cygwin under XP. This gives you access to most of the Linux environment (including the X Window System) and all of XP at the same time, but without the need for dual-boot.

Thanks for the help and advice guys but I still can't get it to work.

I can't find a way of making the Windows partition on my C drive active. I've tried with QTParted on Linux but that didn't help. I also tried using the Volume Management tool in Linux but that didn't help either.

I think i must have messed up the partitioning stage in Windows using PartitionMagic.

I guess it's gonna be one of those format C and start from scratch jobs.

Nevermind.

I'm hoping im not too late here. I had a very similar problem. The way i sorted it was by putting my windows disk in and booting from it but rather than re-installing it i followed the onscreen instructions and repaired the bios. This may cause you to lose the linux booting but a simple google search will give you a utility to fix it. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mr_Me19; 03-Nov-06 at 21:13. Reason: Sorry, edited to change a typo.
    Talking To God....
    http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal