Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What's going on?

Default What's going on?

Have been some what bemused over the last week by some bird sightings.

A sole greylag was on the beach here for several days despite their being large flocks in the near vicinity and then on Sunday a single Whooper Swan was swimming about just off the shore line, again there are several groups of whoopers in the neighbourhood.

Are they just birds that have come down for a rest or in the case of the greylag could it be a hybrid as suggested by one birder?

The death of a mate, maybe..
    VE7ADO A Thurso Loon

Could apply to the swan weedonald as I understand they mate for life but am no sure about the geese.

If anyone spys a lone missing lavender and white domestic duck between halkirk and thurso please send me a pm, think may have gone down river! Worth a try putting it on here.

Thanks weedonald this birdwatching up here is a whole new experience for an incomer..but loving it ..have spotted some 20 new feathered friends over the last year.

Default Geese, Swans

Did anyone see the large flocks of swans and geese in the fields? I saw it yesterday and almost crashed the car. its such a lovely sight. The swans and geese together going about as they have dont for generations. I just love the sounds of the migrating geese. I wish I got a picture
    Were it not for hope the heart would break Scottish Proverb

With the prevailing wind coming from the south/south west Cinders many birds have made it this far but have been unable to go further south and even today I spotted some skeins of geese coming across from Orkney during the lull between systems.
    I have been seeing huge numbers of geese and whooper swans the last few weeks all over the county and in
    Sutherland.
    Have to agree it's a beautifull sight. there was a field full at Scrabster and another near Westfield today with close to a thousand geese,mostly greylags and i would say about 200 swans over the two sites.