Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Recommendations?

Default Recommendations?

Hi folks can anyone recommend a good DSLR camera for a beginner? ive been looking at the Nikon D3100 has anyone got this camera & if so it it any good?
    Thanks
    life may not be a party be while were here we might as well dance!!

Suggest you buy a photo magazine and look at the reviews, but any camera from one of the well known makers will be OK, just make sure that it does not lack any feature that you really want.

Quote Originally Posted by BRIE View Post
    Hi folks can anyone recommend a good DSLR camera for a beginner? ive been looking at the Nikon D3100 has anyone got this camera & if so it it any good?
    Thanks
    I don't know this camera or claim to be an expert on photography as I'm not but I would suspect that the best DSLR camera for a learner to learn on has just the basic stuff on it because the main thing to think about is aperture, ISO setting, camera speed and a basic 35mm-135mm lens or similar.

It is possible to pay silly money for the little extras so I think you have done your homework already, so if it is in your price range so take the plunge and buy it!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I'd also like to add that lenses are probably more important than the actual camera.
    Make sure you do plenty of research on what types of lenses you'd need and what price range you're shooting for.
    A good lens can make up for a sub-par camera but a good camera can't make up for a bad lens.

this is the camera i am desperate to buy as it has really good reviews, although some say you need to buy different lenses to the one it comes with, Jessops website gives the best information about it and offer interest free credit so I am thinking about going for it, although Argos is cheaper if you are buying it outright

I own 2 Nikon DSLR's and would highly recommend them, no better or worse than Canon, it just comes down to personal preference and once you buy into a brand/system you tend to stick with it as you build up a collection of lenses.

The D3100 has been getting great reviews as a starter DSLR and it's very user friendly, have a look at the reviews below, What Digital Camera rates it the best entry level DSLR available just now. If you can get a deal on the 18-105 lens instead of the 18-55 I would go for that as it will give you much more scope.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ni.../verdict.shtml

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ...00-review.html