Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: dog mess in Dunnet forest

Unhappy dog mess in Dunnet forest

what is your few ,i have two dog that i regularly walk in Dunnet forest but lately it just is disgusting the amount of dog dirt that is there .I often see people walking there dogs and not picking up the mess .Some times i think i should confront these people and ask why are they not doing so as it the law not too, but feel it would be to confrontational .I mean would you like to trod in dog mess no, well why do they not remove it ??????I wouldn't blame the forest trust if they banned dog walkers from the forest as it spoiling the enjoyment for other,as i dog owner i wouldnt blame them if they did

I totally agree! It takes less than a minute to clean up after your dog, and is well worthwhile for all walkers! It's a lovely place for the dogs to play so be responsible and just pick up!

Totally agree as well its a lovely place to walk. Often walk my Staffie through there and there is always dog mess around. I walked there on Sunday and the path I walked was clear when I started and when I walked back to the car park there was dog mess all over the path. People even pick it up and then leave the bags on the path or in the bushes when there is a bin by the car park.

its awful, especially when its now such a family place, maybe there should be a walk around the outside of the forest for dogs (but still with the expectation that they clean up after their dogs)
    and families without can enjoy the centre without fear of stepping in mess both on and off the paths

We were there on Wednesday, not been there for a while, and what a shock we had. The dog mess was everwhere. I have before confronted and even offered poop bags to owners but all i got was abuse, but i will carry on doing what i think is right.
    I love my dog and i dont think it is right that he could pick up all kinds of diseases from all this mess.
    These people are not animal lovers they just bring their dogs into the forest so they dont have to clear up after their dogs at home.

Quote Originally Posted by BO-PEEP View Post
    We were there on Wednesday, not been there for a while, and what a shock we had. The dog mess was everwhere. I have before confronted and even offered poop bags to owners but all i got was abuse, but i will carry on doing what i think is right.
    I love my dog and i dont think it is right that he could pick up all kinds of diseases from all this mess.
    These people are not animal lovers they just bring their dogs into the forest so they dont have to clear up after their dogs at home.
    Bo beep i think you have hit the nail on the head not animal lover and lazy to pick up at home

All our coats and jackets have poop bags in the pockets. We even keep a stash in the car. These bags are FREE from the council, so there is no excuse for dog mess anywhere! But I must confess, that there are a few occasions when it's not possible to pick it up. Like the odd time our dog decides he wants to use a rabbit hole as a loo! Poor rabbit!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

when we have gone there with our two huskys there was used dog bags hanging from trees not a nice thing to see at all

Last time we went,2 weekends ago it actually looked better than it did on our last visit.
    Yes I saw lots of dog poop, but, there wasnt any on the path...so some people are doing a good job of picking up after their dogs.
    And most of the poop is near the entrance area...so would clearing the paths in the dog walk area at the front help?
    Or having a bag dispenser at the entrance?
    Still wouldnt let the kids off the paths though...
    But no poop on their shoes or on the buggy wheels this time which is a bonus!
    Last edited by Dadie; 29-Nov-11 at 12:59.

yeh Dadie i was in yesterday and must say i too though is was slightly better but still saw quite a few LARGE dog poo around, but the entrance was much better .I would just love the owner to stop and think for a moment about the other that use the forest and not to be so selfish.I would love them to stand in there own dogs dirt and trod it in their house to see how pleasant it is for them yuk.