Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Gunn/Sutherland?Robertson Families of Latheron

Default Gunn/Sutherland?Robertson Families of Latheron

Hi
    I am new here but I am researching my family from the Latheron and Halkirk areas. Mainly Latheron.

David and Christina Gunn (According to daughter Christina's death cert the mother's maiden name was Gunn also). David Gunn was born c1764 to William Gunn. He was a farmer by occupation and I believe I have found him in the 1841 census in Latheron. He and Christina married 26 April 1792 in Latheron.

I believe they had the following children: William (1793), William (1795), Christina (1799), Jane (1802), Elizabeth (1804), Janet (1810) and Niel (1815).

David is my 5th great grandfather. His daughter Christina married John Robertson. He was the son of James Robertson and Jane Sutherland. James Robertson was the son of Alexander Robertson. James was born 17 Feb 1771 in Clythe. He was the parish school master (according to the death cert of John Robertson). I believe James and Jane had the following children: Katherine (1792), Patrick (1794), Robert Gunn (1797), Elizabeth Clune (1799) and John (1801).

John Robertson and Christina Gunn married on 7 June 1832. They had the following children that I am aware of: Jane (1833), Christina (1836), Elizabeth (1836), David (1839) and Isabella Ann Bain (1842).

Elizabeth Robertson had a child Hannah in 1862 to a Donald Henderson. I know nothing more about him other than that he was a farmer and was deceased in 1883 when Hannah married. In 1867 Elizabeth married John Sutherland. They had the following children that I know of: Jessie Henderson (1867), John (1869), Christina Isabella (1871), William (1873), Charlotte (1877) and Robert D (1882).

John Sutherland was the son of William Sutherland and Janet Henderson. Their other children are I believe: Charlotte (1826), Isabella (1832), William (1834), Ann (1835), Jamesina Noble (1839), Marjory (1842) and Jessie (1845).

I have looked through the websites that have the photos etc of Latheron cemeteries but I can not find any of my relatives as listed above. Any help would be appreciated.

Abigail
    Australia

I was interested to read your post re David Gunn's family. He is also my 3x great grandfather through John and Christina Robertson's daughter, Jane. I have the same children of John and Christina Robertson as you. I cannot add any more to the Gunn side than you have. John Robertson is featured in Donald Young's Book of Lybster which also contains a photograph of John and Christina. Are you related through the Robertson side?
    spittalhill

Default Robertsons

Hello

I have already replied to Abigail, who contacted me via another website, but haven't heard back from her yet. Nice to have someone else join the discussion, Spittalhill

I am descended from Patrick Robertson, named above, another schoolmaster, and brother of John. There are a few errors / omissions in Abigail's original post. John Robertson, who married Christina Gunn, was indeed son of James Robertson and Jane Sutherland, but he was one of nine children, the first children being born in the late 1770's. James was inducted as schoolmaster at Latheron in 1773, having previously been schoolmaster in Thurso. These facts mean that the birth date of 1771 is inaccurate. I don't know who James Robertson's parents were.

I have lots of information on the descendants of Patrick Sinclair Robertson (1794 - 1844), and some on his sister Catherine, if they are of any interest to anyone reading this.

Hello Susan,
    That makes Patrick Robertson my g-g granduncle, so I guess we must be cousins. I have not researched further than my direct ancestors as far back as James Robetson and David Gunn, so would be very interested in sharing information. Send me a pm if you wish.
    spittalhill

Spittalhill, I can't send you a PM as your inbox is full.

Abigail APOLOGIES! You sent me a PM, but I didn't get an alert to say you had sent it. Have now replied.

Susan, Sorry about that! It is empty now!
    spittalhill