Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Cormacks Latheron 1704 - 1900

Default Cormacks Latheron 1704 - 1900

Looking for any further information on James Cormack b 04.02.1704

gfather of Donald Cormack 16.10.1768 m 14.03.1799 to Margaret Sutherland b1770? they had seven children.

I have done lots of research but at a dead end now.

Also looking for information on a boat my gr gf John Alexander Cormack b 04.12.1870 d 01.10.1941(smerlie, lybster) owned, part shared I don't really know but would love to know the name of the boat.

I also have a smashing old photo of the Cormacks dated late 1800 early 1900 not sure but there is a cousin in the photo called bella who was a dwarf thats all I have on the photo and would love to find out more? Any help would be appreciated.

I'd love to have a copy of that photo. My dad's cousin Bessie Polson was married to James Cormack, and James might be in that photo. John Alexander Cormack prob would have been James' dad or uncle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cormack.wee bella (cousin).jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	11409
    This is a really old photo I think she was a cousin of my gr gr grandmother, J A Cormacks mother? But again not sure, do you have any interesting facts on the family?

Hi Trish, just a quick question do you own or have access to Donald A. Young,s 2 books on Lybster ??.
    there is quite a lot of Cormack information in them though I don,t know if it covers your family line..
    Re. Bella I contacted Lybster at 12.20 am this morning to say happy new year and ask about Bella, the name and description were known but to early in life times to had personal contact but Lybster/ Upper Lybster were suggested as known locations for residence ?..
    Also in Donald,s book a mention of the war memorial refers to
    AB Angus Cormack,R.N.
    son of Adam and Christina [Teenie Bella] Cormack
    presumed lost when his vessel was sunk by Japanese aircraft April 9th 1942,when he was 21.. the reason I suggest this might be a connection is that where I am located Tennie means small..
    So I,ll leave you with these few thoughts for the moment , please let me know if I,m in the right area// Best Wishes and a happy new year.. Don Polson

Donald Cormack owns the butchers in Latheronwheel. His son is named Angus.

Hello Dog-eared you are quite right Donald is the nephew of James Cormack who married my grand aunt Bessie Polson and I,ve now met him 3 times since I found out about my connections to Lybster. He holds the origonal wedding photo of the couple and it is the only known clear photo to exist, there is photo in Donald Youngs first book [the thick one ] but it is quite poor quality.. At the time I visited Bessie and James in 1945 I was a very small child and only have limited memories of them but they were enough to find their croft again in 2010..As far as I can understand I can be classed as James nephew ?? by his marriage to Bessie..
    cheers Don..

Hello again Trish- here is an update on Bella, the following is a straight copy from Donald Young,s book page 47..

Grid ref. ND 250373 Upper Lybster. Ruins of a croft house. Miss Bella Cormack, a tiny but perfectly proportioned lady affectionately known as the dwarfie,whose nephew Don was killed on 15th June 1915 when themen of the local Territorial company had their baptism of fire at Festubert. Also her sister Jessie and husband Johnnie Murray who retired to the croft, 20th century..Their parents,Mr and Mrs George Cormack, late 19th and early20th century..

Apologies to the family of AB Angus Cormack for any distress caused Don..

Well Trish it,s now 2.45 am and I,m off to bed.. Don..

Hi did you get the photo? I replied to you earlier. Ut messages isn't seem to have gone through! I've got dOnald youngs books my gr grant parents house is there also. Wast george CORMACK bella's father? Ima bit muddled? Trish

Hi Trish, Ref. Bella,s father ,as I read the passage in Donald,s book my understanding is, there was Bella, her sister Jessie and Jessie,s husband Johnnie Murray. The parents of Bella and Jessie were Mr. and Mrs. George Cormack.. I,ve checked as much as I can, and can find no sign of earlier messages.. I,ve got a copy of the Cormack photo on the P.C. and am trying to do some minor repairs.

Cheers for now Don..

Hi, I would love a copy of that photo but you haven't said if you got a copy of my photo?
    Trish

Hello again Trish, now you,ve got me puzzled the photo I.ve got is the one you posted on the 21st Dec. 2011. I down loaded a copy and carried out some minor repairs to scratches, dirty marks and increased the contrast to make it darker and easier to see. I,ve already sent copies to H.T. Wood as she is a cousin by the Polson/Cormack marriage.
    If you would PM with your address I,ll certainly send you a couple of copies by snail mail.All being well I hope to be up in Lybster around June/July this year and if you wish we could meet up for a coffee ?..
    Well I hope this answers your questions and look forward to hearing from you in due course.. Best Wishes Don..

Hi no need to send a copy just realised I thought it was another photo lol would love to meet for coffee go over family trees see if there is a link. Will send a PM.
    TRISH