Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Pumpkins

Default Halloween Pumpkins

Since it's getting to that time of the year, I thought I'd start a wee thread, to see how everyone else gets on too. Anyone with any tips on getting a decent pumpkin pic, please share all... I apologise in advance for my poor quality shots!
    WeeBurd.

Default 2004

Mr Burds efforts here, some spooky hands...

And another from Mr Burd, a creepy clown...

Last edited by WeeBurd; 18-Oct-06 at 22:06. Reason: Resizing
    WeeBurd.

Default 2005

Wee'erBurd's mini pumpkin, carved by WeeBurd...

WeeBurd's effort...

WeeBurd.

Default 2005

Finally, WeeBurd's Apprentice was also roped in...

Now, will have to go search for MrBurd's one from last year....
    WeeBurd.

Default pumpkin

Quote Originally Posted by WeeBurd View Post
    Since it's getting to that time of the year, I thought I'd start a wee thread, to see how everyone else gets on too. Anyone with any tips on getting a decent pumpkin pic, please share all... I apologise in advance for my poor quality shots!
    Superb pumpkins, WeeBurd. See what you mean about the low-light shots though. Depends on your camera and what functions it's capable of - shutter speed etc. Just experimenting a lot might bring better results. Don't know if a tripod would make much difference but might be worth a try if you haven't already.

I haven't carved pumpkins but I used to make lanterns out of turnips before pumpkins were invented! lol
    Wasn't much scope in a wee neep to make works of art but it was fun all the same.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Excellent pumpkin carvings, WeeBurd! Here's a pic my son took of our pumpkins last year. He used a setting on his digital camera to make them look aflame. I rather like the effect!

I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Default impressed!!!

Enjoyed these pics wea ma 14 year old girl. These are great!!! thank you 4 bringin a lil pleasure x
    WoRdS ShOuLd Be SiMpLe An VoIcEs SoFt !!!

Sporran, I love the effect, very freaky!

Here's MrBurd's effort from last year. The quality of the pic is very poor, as it was taken on his phone, but you can see the outline of the pumpkin if you look close enough!

Last edited by WeeBurd; 19-Oct-06 at 13:55. Reason: Added pic
    WeeBurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Jones View Post
    Superb pumpkins, WeeBurd. See what you mean about the low-light shots though. Depends on your camera and what functions it's capable of - shutter speed etc. Just experimenting a lot might bring better results. Don't know if a tripod would make much difference but might be worth a try if you haven't already.

I haven't carved pumpkins but I used to make lanterns out of turnips before pumpkins were invented! lol
    Wasn't much scope in a wee neep to make works of art but it was fun all the same.
    Thanks for the advice, Tiger, it's a bog standard digi camera (Samsung Digimax V5) we use, and I must confess, I only ever use it on the auto setting, even though there are plenty of others to experiment with. I guess I should dig out the instruction book and have a good study .

And I too mind carving them out of neeps when I was wee, but I must confess I like the way the pumpkins glow once lit, quite spooky! I was thinking of experimenting this year by trying other veg/fruit - I've seen watermelons carved, but I might struggle to get one just now .
    WeeBurd.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeBurd View Post
    ...it's a bog standard digi camera (Samsung Digimax V5) we use, and I must confess, I only ever use it on the auto setting, even though there are plenty of others to experiment with. I guess I should dig out the instruction book and have a good study .
    I believe there's a 'Night mode' on your camera. Might be worth testing that. Like you say, there're plenty of other settings to play with too and a wee read of the manual should help. Good luck

Do folks no make them from neeps anymore?
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Default Homer and eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19 View Post
    I agree with you Connie, whats wrong wi' a good owld Scottish Neep?, we dont need foreign imports and the bits o left over neep could be used till make Clapshot, ye canna mak that wi a Pumpkin
    Welcome Guisers, get lost Trick or Treaters
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post

I agree with you Connie, whats wrong wi' a good owld Scottish Neep?, we dont need foreign imports and the bits o left over neep could be used till make Clapshot, ye canna mak that wi a Pumpkin

When my brothers and I were kids in Thurso, all we had were good owld Scottish neeps for lanterns. They were much more difficult to carve than pumpkins, so our dad usually carved them out for us. We carried the lanterns with strong twine attached to them. I can still remember the smell of the turnips as they were heated inside by the burning candles!

I have to admit I prefer Guisers to Trick or Treaters as well, Golach. When I was a kid, we either sang or recited a poem, as I'm sure you did too when you were a guising wee Golach! The least we could get away with was "The sky is blue, the grass is green, what have you got for Halloween?" And that was considered taking the easy way out, lol!

Our left over bits o' neep never went to waste either. My mum either made mashed turnip or clapshot the next day. Over on this side of the pond, carved pumpkins are de rigueur, of course. In this household, if we don't make pumpkin pie out of the scoopings, we at least use the pumpkin seeds. They make a tasty snack, after you bake them with a sprinkling of salt!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Rest assurred, there will be no wastage - the leftover pumpkin will be getting cooked and mushed for Wee'est Burd, although I dare say her sister will be pinching some as they're getting carved...

Also, the seeds are nice when washed, dried, and baked in the oven with some seasoning. Delicious!

I must admit, I used to pinch the raw neep when I was wee - yum!!
    WeeBurd.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Ahh, but you can't make pumpkin pie with neaps. I know which I would rather have.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    Ahh, but you can't make pumpkin pie with neaps. I know which I would rather have.
    Pumpkin pie....IMO Yeuch...I would rather have clapshot with lots of black pepper
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Interesting wee titbit in the paper the other day.

"Hallowe'en lanterns were once made from turnips rather than pumpkins. The tradition began with Irish immigrants who went to America in the 1800s after the potato famine. They were meant to represent the souls of departed loved ones. But turnips were not widely available in the US and were soon replaced by pumkins."

And I thought the Yanks used them just because they were bigger!

Default First One Of The Season

This is a "commission", for a friend. It's the same as one I did last year, just smaller.

Tiger, I took your advice, put the camera on a tripod (I know, it's not straight, but it's steady !), and used the night setting...

Last edited by WeeBurd; 30-Oct-06 at 17:15. Reason: Fixing broken link
    WeeBurd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast