Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Guy Going Around Offering Eating Out Discounts!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default Guy Going Around Offering Eating Out Discounts!

    I Had a guy at the door tonight, well spoken & well dressed.. he handed me a leaflet for a "Premier Card" telling me it entitles me to free food in certain places also money off in other places. All he asked was 20 and this is valid until july next year. has anyone else had this and what do you think? im always quite unsure of these people!!

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tootz View Post
    I Had a guy at the door tonight, well spoken & well dressed.. he handed me a leaflet for a "Premier Card" telling me it entitles me to free food in certain places also money off in other places. All he asked was 20 and this is valid until july next year. has anyone else had this and what do you think? im always quite unsure of these people!!
    He's genuine,they ran the same promotion a couple of years ago.He was at our workplace on Friday.

  3. #3
    donss Guest

    Default

    It's a genuine sales offer: up to you and your eating-out habits to gauge whether it's worthwhile.......

    I'm sure a similar offer was run a couple of years ago: It's quite common in other areas.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Thurso, Caithness
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tootz View Post
    I Had a guy at the door tonight, well spoken & well dressed.. he handed me a leaflet for a "Premier Card" telling me it entitles me to free food in certain places also money off in other places. All he asked was 20 and this is valid until july next year. has anyone else had this and what do you think? im always quite unsure of these people!!
    Personally I would never ever buy anything from anybody who came a knocking at my door. It would not make any difference if they were genuine or not I still would not buy.

    I also do not believe that you could get Free Food from any Establishment in Caithness, just because your had bought a premier card.

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

    Edgar Allen Poe

  5. #5

    Default

    Hey had pictures of several establishments and what offers were available at each place, it was basically so many free meals per premises as long as you went with a pyaing customer and others you got say a 20% discount off your meal. I went out for cash and he was supposed to come back but never did lol, he must have had plenty of takers.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Thurso, Caithness
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hen Broon View Post
    Hey had pictures of several establishments and what offers were available at each place, it was basically so many free meals per premises as long as you went with a pyaing customer and others you got say a 20% discount off your meal. I went out for cash and he was supposed to come back but never did lol, he must have had plenty of takers.
    You say he had Photographs of several establishments that offer Free Food if you go with a Paying Customer.

    OK tell us the names of these Establishments. Also did you phone any of these extablishmets up to see if they know anything about this scheme.

    I know quite a few years ago this was brought up on WatchDog. What Happened was that a Leaflet was made up with Photographs of Local Establishments and Text saying that had all signed up for the Discount Card. Same Idea two dine for the price of one. Then when you went to book for a Meal either the establishment knew Nothing about the scheme, or you were hidden in an almose inaccessable table and were served only half portions. In the end it was not worth it.

    It is a case of "Tanstaffle", for those of you who do not know what this means here is a translation.

    There aint no such thing as a free lunch.

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

    Edgar Allen Poe

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    You say he had Photographs of several establishments that offer Free Food if you go with a Paying Customer.

    OK tell us the names of these Establishments. Also did you phone any of these extablishmets up to see if they know anything about this scheme.

    I know quite a few years ago this was brought up on WatchDog. What Happened was that a Leaflet was made up with Photographs of Local Establishments and Text saying that had all signed up for the Discount Card. Same Idea two dine for the price of one. Then when you went to book for a Meal either the establishment knew Nothing about the scheme, or you were hidden in an almose inaccessable table and were served only half portions. In the end it was not worth it.

    It is a case of "Tanstaffle", for those of you who do not know what this means here is a translation.

    There aint no such thing as a free lunch.
    Don't know why your are so disbelieving of thisa nd what people are telling you about it. If you do not want to buy fair enough but do not knock something because you do not know about it.

    I have used the scheme more than once and it is genuine and backed by the hotels shown on the list. I have not seen this year's offers but Iwill be buying when he gets round to me.

  8. #8

    Default

    I used this a couple of years ago, and it saved s!, Its well worth 20

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    You say he had Photographs of several establishments that offer Free Food if you go with a Paying Customer.

    OK tell us the names of these Establishments. Also did you phone any of these extablishmets up to see if they know anything about this scheme.

    I know quite a few years ago this was brought up on WatchDog. What Happened was that a Leaflet was made up with Photographs of Local Establishments and Text saying that had all signed up for the Discount Card. Same Idea two dine for the price of one. Then when you went to book for a Meal either the establishment knew Nothing about the scheme, or you were hidden in an almose inaccessable table and were served only half portions. In the end it was not worth it.

    It is a case of "Tanstaffle", for those of you who do not know what this means here is a translation.

    There aint no such thing as a free lunch.
    Seems you have been proved wrong kodiak!!! Going by the posts on here anyway, seems there is such a thing as a "free lunch" or near enough free!!!!
    The world is a system its only how you work the sytem that counts...............

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Watten
    Posts
    4,576

    Default

    We had one of the cards a few years ago (before kids) and it paid for itself on its second outing!
    We used it quite a bit and saved a lot, but, this time we decided against it as we never get out for a meal.
    So if you are likely to eat out at the places on the card(at least two places or one place twice) its well worth it, but if you rarely go out its just a waste of money as you wont use it in the timescale!
    And at the time we got the card there were a couple of eateries on the way up from Inverness that had good discounts too!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Thurso, Caithness
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crackeday View Post
    Seems you have been proved wrong kodiak!!! Going by the posts on here anyway, seems there is such a thing as a "free lunch" or near enough free!!!!
    Sure I could be wrong, no harm in being wrong but just careful.

    One thing I will say though, No one has yet posted any Names of any Establishment in Caithness who accept the Premier card, so a person can get a Free Dinner if another Person pays for a Dinner.

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

    Edgar Allen Poe

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Castletown
    Posts
    640

    Default

    When I used to live in Inverness we got this sort of thing all the time. I think if you look at the actual places you can use the card you will find they are in cities and nowhere near you. Even living in Inverness and that was a good many years ago it would have been a struggle to find an eatery that was part of this "scheme". Not so cheap to get the money off if its a 5 hour to the central belt .........

    K

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    4,712

    Default

    Remember this from a few years ago and took the offer up then - a number of local eateries participated, it was very well used - easily saving more than the 20 fee. Would consider it again depending on the deals and places available...



  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onecalledk View Post
    When I used to live in Inverness we got this sort of thing all the time. I think if you look at the actual places you can use the card you will find they are in cities and nowhere near you. Even living in Inverness and that was a good many years ago it would have been a struggle to find an eatery that was part of this "scheme". Not so cheap to get the money off if its a 5 hour to the central belt .........

    K
    I take it you haven't actually seen one then? All of them appear to be for local restaurants and some have good deals too. Some are even takeaways which is a bonus

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Incognit0 View Post
    I take it you haven't actually seen one then? All of them appear to be for local restaurants and some have good deals too. Some are even takeaways which is a bonus
    Bought mine today. Loads of local restaurants, hotels and takeaways plus some we use a lot in or on the way to Inverness including Storehouse and the Dores Inn on Loch Ness. Also accommodation in Inverness which is handy.
    Last edited by ducati; 14-Nov-11 at 19:44.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    wick
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    Bought mine a couple of weeks back and have already enjoyed a meal out with 10 off. Ticket only cost 20 so it has almost
    paid for itself. I love eating out so for me it is a bargain and of great use. Plenty local eating establishments and a good way to try out new ones!
    Us Caithnessians seem to need a lot of convincing.

    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    extreme north of Scotland
    Posts
    2,463

    Default

    It is genuine and it is for places in our area. however, as I found out when I tried to use it, you have to order 2 starters, two main courses and two sweets and you only get one main course for free. That is fine if you normally eat that amount of food, for me one course is usually more than enough. It also works for take-aways at Tandoori Spice, so I guess you could feed 4 people on two meals (If you eat as little as we do)
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katarina View Post
    It is genuine and it is for places in our area. however, as I found out when I tried to use it, you have to order 2 starters, two main courses and two sweets and you only get one main course for free. That is fine if you normally eat that amount of food, for me one course is usually more than enough. It also works for take-aways at Tandoori Spice, so I guess you could feed 4 people on two meals (If you eat as little as we do)
    I have used my card three time in two weeks - twice in Inverness - card paid for and ten quid in pocket. You only need to buy a two course meal and even if you do not eat the starter you are at least a fiver in pocket. I saved 30 but even if I ordered starters and did not eat them i would be at least 15 in pocket - getting close to paying for the card with this approach.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •