Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Booze for Xmas Cake?

Default Booze for Xmas Cake?

I've followed a recipe for a Xmas cake out of Mary Berry's cookbook and so far I'm at the stage of gradually pouring the booze over the cake before the icing.

The recipe states that Brandy should be used but last year I did Brandy so far until my brother told me to use Drambuie. The results were great but do any cooks out there use just whisky or any other spirit to give their Xmas cake any flavour? Cheers.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I always use dark rum.
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

Whatever is in the cupboard....last year used whiskey...35yo cask strength mccallan.....ooops!
    Bit expensive for cake!

I worked for a lady who made her christmas cake during the summer school holidays in preparation for Christmas. Every night the cake got a little tipple of whatever she was pouring for herself.....result a very moist cake not to be eaten when driving. One year just before it was iced their new puppy managed to chew a chunk out of it, resulting in the poor pup snoring in front of the aga and the lady of the house remoulding the cake with the aid of more marzipan and hoping once it was iced no body would notice the peculiar shape. I did hear it said it was the best christmas cake ever at the big house, and anytime cake was mentioned within "sparkle`s" hearing she ran away and hid in her basket!
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Like Dadie I use anything but definately NOT a 35 yr old malt, I'd have drunk it first

I have used that orange one I cant spell, spiced rum, rum, whisky, brandy amongst others and they all worked ok!
    But there is no point making one for this year as no one else in the house will eat it as some dont like the nuts, some dont like the fruit, no one else will eat the marzipan...but they all eat the icing...so might just do a winter scene on a plate with the icing this year!

And just drink the cakes portion of the alcohol!
    Last edited by Dadie; 23-Oct-11 at 13:31.