Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Starling flocks

Default Starling flocks

If anyone wants to see this, then The battery factory carpark half an hour before Sunset is the place to go. Its fascinating, but beware. There is a lot of bird poo, so wear something washable.

Last edited by kas; 16-Oct-06 at 16:39.

Default Starling flocks

Kas the pictures are fantastic, i could stand and watch them for ages, i was delighted this morning as well, when i went out this morning, the first thing i saw was a flock of 10 goldfinches and 8 redwings all sitting together on electric wires, then 5 mins later a corn bunting, the day just got better and better, robins, wrens, stonechat, dunnock, bluetits,greenfinches.

Default Starling flocks

Yes, great pics kas!
    I'm still waiting to see some redwings and fieldfares...the odd gold finch would be nice too, they are my favourites....

Default Yeah

a lot of people take these birds for granted and see them as just a pain, but to me they are a beautiful site. I wish I had a video camera one day when I watched a flock about that size in quite a strong wind swooping and weaving over a fully ripe field of barley that was almost mimicking them in the breeze. They are amazing to watch, its like some kind of olympic formation team, all moving in unison with no recognisable leader. Awesome.

Thumbs up bird pics

kas, those bird pics are brilliant. what make & model camera are you using. thinking of dropping a hint to the boss to see if she will fund a new one for xmas,

Nice pictures, Kas. I used to go up along Holburn Head to watch the starlings. They used to flock in their thousands in the evening. Fantastic to watch. I envy you.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    kas, those bird pics are brilliant. what make & model camera are you using. thinking of dropping a hint to the boss to see if she will fund a new one for xmas,
    Very sorry for the delay, my Pc has been disconnected.

I use the Nikon Coolpix 4500 as it is designed to attatch to a telescope. These photos were taken with the camera only though.

But I am sure there are similar ones which are of a more practical shape.

Well done on some beautiful photos Kas!

I find the Starling flying 'displays' breathtaking to watch.

These poor birds quite often get a bad press but I love them and they are real characters.
    Today they were lined all along my garden wall jostling for position!