Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Chicken in the slow cooker

Default Chicken in the slow cooker

I was wandering if anyone on here has cooked a whole chicken in the slow cooker. I havegoogled it and there are lots of results saying just to bung it in but there are other ppl saying that the temp in the cooker doesn't get hot enough to kill all the germs but i figure that if its cooked through it should be ok.Has anyone else tried it? Do you remove the skin to get rid of some of the fat?Thanks

Hi Kitty, I have cooked a whole chicken in a slow cooker, and was successful, But I had a small stainless steel bowl with holes for steaming which I placed underneath it to keep it from sitting in the fat, otherwise it tended to have that chicken fat taste.

Hi there, we often bung the whole chicken in the slow cooker, its lovely, the meat is so tender and falls off the bone! Leave it on low for a good 8 hours and keep the juice for the gravy,yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by dblonde View Post
    Hi there, we often bung the whole chicken in the slow cooker, its lovely, the meat is so tender and falls off the bone! Leave it on low for a good 8 hours and keep the juice for the gravy,yummy!
    Yes, I have found this to be the case as well, it is a good way to cook a chicken, gammon is also good.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I tried this method with one of our old cockerels and now it's the only way I'll do them. My slow cooker isn't huge so I cut the bird into quarters and cooked it for 8-10 hours in stock and cider and vegetables. Fantastic with lots of mash.

I tried it yesterday and the gravy was the best gravy ever cause you get sooo much juice from the meat. Will def cook it this way again. Thanks everyone

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.