Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Badereskie/ Latheron/ Lybster/ Young Family

Default Badereskie/ Latheron/ Lybster/ Young Family

Does anyone have any information colour on Badereskie or the Young family that hails from there (I've seen Donald Poulson's earlier posts)?

My great great grandfather Benjamin Young of Badereskie died 2nd April 1919 aged 73 and his wife died 19th August 1920 aged 75 (Elizabeth Cormack) (both buried in Latheron) . His son (my great grandfather) John Young left the croft around 1900 and moved to Edinbugh where he became a publican until he passed away in the mid-60's (John's brother emigrated to New Zealand pre-1914).

My great grandfather (John), my grandfather (Ben) and my dad (Douglas) went up a few times until the late '60's but progressively lost touch with the area (my grandfather passed away in 1985).

I visited the croft a few years back (still standing albeit now used for lambing) and went to see Benjamin Young's grave in Latheron.

Many thanks in advance

Quote from Donald Young's Book of Lybster :- "Badereiskie. Former croft house, now a corrugated-iron roofed agricultural building. John Phimister, 20th century. His grandfather, William Phimister, early 20th century. Family named Young, 19th and early 20th century, believed to be related to George MacLeod, Guiebest, Latheron."
    spittalhill