Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marine Inn, Thurso

Default Marine Inn, Thurso

I see that the Marine Inn is up for sale (£130k), hope whoever takes it over will restore it to a pub/restaurant again and not buy it for housing development - maybe a good place for a Wetherspoons in Thurso???

don't be to surprised if it's turned into flat's lol,a lot of good memories there, got my first pint there at fifteen ooooh the good old day's

£130,000 eh? How does "Szin's" or "Szin's Bar" sound?

Sounds great Doc, I'll def be there for a drink
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSzin View Post
    Or the "Szin" place to be?

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

sounds like "skins" but as long as its lot like it inside, that will do fine Dr! are you tempted then??

Szins z bar,like the sound of that one too ,its almost esotic
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

I doubt if it would get a drinks license now after all this time. A lot of residents would complain about the noise and stuff.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Whereabout in Thurso is it?
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

The Marine Inn is down by the harbour - Shore Street perhaps? It's roughly in the centre of this map and there's another pic of it here.

When did it close? And has it been used for anything since?
    Last edited by DrSzin; 15-Oct-06 at 18:22. Reason: Fix map

The Marine Inn is down by the harbour - Shore Street perhaps? It's roughly in the centre of this map and there's another pic of it here.

When did it close? And has it been used for anything since?
    Been closed for sometime now I think last time I was there was in the 80's and the bar staff had never heard of Vodka and Coke, Mrs G's tipple not mine
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

must have closed late 80's early 90's, been lying empty since then I think, its in such a lovely setting it was a shame seeing it becoming derelict - walk past it most days if going along the beach and always wished something would be done with it

It was a good pub - shame what has happened to it. Why dont all the orgers chip in together and buy it.

Rename it "Orgers Marine"

Is it not a listed building because it is an original 'inn'?
    engiebenjy

according to Caithness Solicitors Property Centre its now delisted

it is a lovely setting, who owns it? why has it lay in this state for so long??

In all honesty, I doubt it'd get turned into a Wetherspoons. There's a good pub cirlce in Thurso again... Holburn, Comm, Top Joes, Newmarket, Liquid(a millions miles away admittedly) why would we need another pub to steal business from locals?

In Wick, I thought it was a great idea, just can't say the same for Thurso.

I think it's probably gonna be developed into flats. Would be a great place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    it is a lovely setting, who owns it? why has it lay in this state for so long??
    Jackie Gulloch used to run it but don't know if he and his wife owned it too, no doubt someone will know?

Jeid, Thurso has a good "BAR" circle not a good pub circle, I feel totally alienated when I go to places you have mentioned - think there is a gap in the market for a pub that has a more old-fashioned feel to it - old guys in the corner playing dominoes, playing pool, darts, enjoying a drink with partners/friends and being able to hear the conversation and see who you are talking to - maybe I am going to the wrong places but please point me in the right direction if you know of anywhere in Thurso like this - and I'm too young for the Legion before anyone names it ;-)

haha, see its made it onto the front page of the Org
    Last edited by dragonfly; 14-Oct-06 at 20:37.

Default Marine

I heard that Wetherspoons have already done a deal for the Post office building at the lights ...I'm a little older that some on ORG and the Marine closed due to the owner trying to open up the downstairs and extend the bar .They took out the loadbearing wall and the building near collapsed .The front off the building parted company with the end wall .If you go to the beach end and look at the end wall you'll see for yourself .The building was condenmed and they had to stop trading. The insurance company said it was self inflicted and walked away ....Sorry to say it but its better demolished and rebuilt in keeping ...It was a quaint little bar in its day ,with a stone floor and a fire .Thats the proper Marine not the 80s version .It was a bar for Fisherman ,so it was pints , rum and sawdust on the floor ..The fisherman were the Oags.. Simpsons. Reids and the Macintoshs ..and of coarse the Down tooners .....
    Last edited by dozy; 14-Oct-06 at 20:35. Reason: spelling

did jocky omand not have it at one point?,i know he used to have the house's at the side of it,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast